What did people eat from say 30 's to late 70 's

Before fridges there were things called pantries. A pantry was a food storage closet with a stone shelf. Shopping was done on a daily basis at small family owned shops.

We ate lamb chops, liver, beef, pork, along with veggies, Yorkshire pud, spuds and gravy Once a week sent out for fish and chips

First time I saw a fridge was when I arrived in Canada

My house still has the old stone meat slab in the cellar. People used to use it to store meat and perishables before fridges were commonplace. I used it myself temporarily before I managed to get a fridge when I first moved in.

My mum didn't go out to work when I was a child in the 40s & 50s. My father had an office job, and walked a mile or so home at lunch (dinner) time when we had our main cooked meal. Mum was a decent cook and we ate pretty well, home made soup, stews, meat pies and fried or steamed fish. She would make rissoles out of the leftovers from Sunday, and she cooked tripe and onions for her and my dad. I could never eat it. :gag: We had fresh vegetables, also tinned ones especially peas and green beans. Fruit tended to be apples, oranges, pears and bananas. Rhubarb out my auntie's garden with custard, yum, but strawberries were a rare treat, and raspberries were used for making jam!

My mum also baked regularly, we didn't have many puddings but we had home make cakes and tarts. On a Saturday, I'd get sent to the shops for onion bridies (like pasties but in puff pastry) and we'd have them for dinner, then sausage and chips for tea when my dad came in from the match. If we were having ice cream, again I'd get sent to the shop just before dinner time for a block, which we kept wrapped in newspaper to try and stop it melting! We didn't have a fridge until the late 60s.

Our local chippie was owned by an Italian family, but they served up Scottish delicacies like haggis puddings and white puddings as an alternative to fish. The amount of grease we all ate made up for not having central heating!

A geezer is a wall mounted water heater and a copper is like a large caudron for heating larger amounts of water

You mean geyser, geezer is slang for a man /bloke.

Possibly not a word used up north!

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 09:04 ----------

Potatoes from the market 5lb for a shilling (5p) all covered in dried mud, not washed as they are today.

Only if you were rich! Chicken was a real treat until the 70's when it started to become the cheap option.Beef lamb and pork were the roasts for ordinary Sundays,but then only a small joint and there had to be some left over for Monday!

We used to raise our own so we had it frequently - I was always a popular kid at school when the realised what our Sunday roast was...

I never did understand why chicken was so expensive though prior to the 80's ti seemed a much easier stock to raise than beef or pork.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 10:12 ----------

Before fridges there were things called pantries. A pantry was a food storage closet with a stone shelf. Shopping was done on a daily basis at small family owned shops.

We ate lamb chops, liver, beef, pork, along with veggies, Yorkshire pud, spuds and gravy Once a week sent out for fish and chips

First time I saw a fridge was when I arrived in Canada

The stone slab used to go in the larder which was where the cool stuff used to be stored. The dry goods were in the pantry, which was where food was prepped before the kitchen - at least that's how we had it. The kitchen had a door to the pantry, with a prep table and there was a small door off the pantry to the north (ie coldest) side of the house with a massive slate slab in that was the larder. No glass in the window, just fine mesh to keep out flies and hooks in the celing for joints to hang from.

Meat and 2 veg.

In other words, fresh vegetable like cabbage or cauliflower, potatoes, and some sort of meat, usually cheap, like sausage, mince, chops or stewing meat. Pies etc would be made at home. On Sunday there'd be a roast like chicken, with yorkshire pudding.

Everyone ate together round the table, and ate the same thing. No fussy eaters allowed and no eating from a tray in front of the telly.

A takaway was fish and chips as nothing else was available, and few working class ever ate out until the first Chinese Restaurants and Berni Steak houses appeared in the seventies.

My mum still talks about the Berni Inn to this day! :hihi:

And my dad watches my 3yr old neice eating asian food, or prawns or something, and says 'I didn't eat pasta until I was 23!' or something like that :D

My mum still talks about the Berni Inn to this day! :hihi:

And my dad watches my 3yr old neice eating asian food, or prawns or something, and says 'I didn't eat pasta until I was 23!' or something like that :D

Panorama and the Swiss spaghetti harvest...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/1/newsid_2819000/2819261.stm

Pasta was really exotic food for a long time - I remember being taken at about 5 years old to an Italian resteraunt and being outraged at being served worms in tomato sauce! :D

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned mutton. We seemed to have it every Sunday then ate the remainder cold for for several days after. It was always fatty but the fat was quite palatable. This continued up to the early 60s when chicken became more affordable & less of a treat for special occasions.

My house still has the old stone meat slab in the cellar. People used to use it to store meat and perishables before fridges were commonplace. I used it myself temporarily before I managed to get a fridge when I first moved in.

These days it would probably make an ideal place to store your wine collection :)

Archived