What did people eat from say 30 's to late 70 's

School dinners and works canteens helped a lot.

So we weren't exactly running to the butchers every day.

I remember those school dinners and the free milk. It was all good nourishing stuff. I would stuff myself at school, always there for seconds if they were available and then in the evening eat another cooked meal at home. I was a growing boy with a very healthy appetitite

A geezer is a wall mounted water heater and a copper is like a large caudron for heating larger amounts of water

No, a geezer is someone who's a little bit woooah, a little bit waaaaayy!

We used to raise our own so we had it frequently - I was always a popular kid at school when the realised what our Sunday roast was...

I never did understand why chicken was so expensive though prior to the 80's ti seemed a much easier stock to raise than beef or pork.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 10:12 ----------

The stone slab used to go in the larder which was where the cool stuff used to be stored. The dry goods were in the pantry, which was where food was prepped before the kitchen - at least that's how we had it. The kitchen had a door to the pantry, with a prep table and there was a small door off the pantry to the north (ie coldest) side of the house with a massive slate slab in that was the larder. No glass in the window, just fine mesh to keep out flies and hooks in the celing for joints to hang from.

Moved into a brand new house in 1951. Even at that time they still built a pantry attached next to the kitchen. Once a week my mother used to buy a lot of her food at a small grocery store on Penistone Road and next day he would deliver it to the house in his van.

Meat, fish and other perishable had to be bought almost on a daily basis though

Do you remember the tinned version of spaghetti and ravioli that came on the market in the 70s? :gag:

We'd have tinned spaghetti as an alternative to baked beans, but I wasn't too keen on the ravioli. I didn't have proper spaghetti until I had a meal in an Italian restaurant in London in the late 60s. I've been a pasta fan ever since!

Mushrooms were a late arrival in my mother's household too. Never had them until well into the 1970's. Cheese was always cheddar - not much variety available then.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:57 ----------

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned mutton. We seemed to have it every Sunday then ate the remainder cold for for several days after. It was always fatty but the fat was quite palatable. This continued up to the early 60s when chicken became more affordable & less of a treat for special occasions.

Cold meat on a Monday, rissoles on Tuesday, anything left into a stew ('ash) on Wednesday...

In the seventies we went packet crazy,it was the rise of fast food in our house.

Powdered mash,tinned marrowfat peas,fray bentos pies.

Findus savoury pancakes, a special treat was arctic roll and Vesta packet curry.

Of course, my Dad was part of the war generation, and a kid in the thirties. They never wasted a thing. He talks longingly of brawn, made out of pigs face, chitterlings and bag, (think that's what it's called) made out of sheep's intestines and stomach bag, and sheep's brain broth, I kid you not. Then there was always Tripe and onions, oxtail, heart, kidneys, pig's trotters and liver. Everything but the squeak...

Archived