What did people eat from say 30 's to late 70 's

In the seventies we went packet crazy,it was the rise of fast food in our house.

Powdered mash,tinned marrowfat peas,fray bentos pies.

Findus savoury pancakes, a special treat was arctic roll and Vesta packet curry.

Ah yes! My mum was a traditional cook back then, a farmer's daughter, so we still had the meat pie, and the Yorkshire puds, but Angel Delight and Vesta curry made a big impact in our house. I think it was the novelty - they don't eat any of that stuff now.

I married in 1970 and left work in September that year to have my son. I used to shop every day for food and we ate mostly fresh. The mobile greengrocer came round twice a week and the mobile fish man came from Grimsby every Friday. Our milk was also delivered daily. A lot different to today I think

It might be true to say that the food back then was a damned sight healthier than the fast food junk too many people, especially the young, rely on for meals these days.

I left the UK for Canada in 1965 and before that obesity was a rarity in the UK as I can well remember.

Michelle Obama initiated a program for healthier school meals which wasn't the success it was hoped for. Turns out that much of the food is being dumped by the students.

70 percent of American youths would fail to qualify for entrance into the military due to being overweight and otherwise physically unfit if the draft was to be re-instated today

70 percent of American youths would fail to qualify for entrance into the military due to being overweight and otherwise physically unfit if the draft was to be re-instated today

It might be an urban myth, but isn't there some statistic that says 80% (or similar) of Americans are unfit for human consumption?

It might be an urban myth, but isn't there some statistic that says 80% (or similar) of Americans are unfit for human consumption?

True. That's why so many missionaries in the Congo are Americans. Cannibal proof.

Of course, my Dad was part of the war generation, and a kid in the thirties. They never wasted a thing. He talks longingly of brawn, made out of pigs face, chitterlings and bag, (think that's what it's called) made out of sheep's intestines and stomach bag, and sheep's brain broth, I kid you not. Then there was always Tripe and onions, oxtail, heart, kidneys, pig's trotters and liver. Everything but the squeak...

We were still eating all of those in the mid 60s. Plus my mum used to buy untreated tripe (a sort of creamy, slimy version), which she boiled up for the dog.

Meat and 2 veg.

In other words, fresh vegetable like cabbage or cauliflower, potatoes, and some sort of meat, usually cheap, like sausage, mince, chops or stewing meat. Pies etc would be made at home. On Sunday there'd be a roast like chicken, with yorkshire pudding.

Everyone ate together round the table, and ate the same thing. No fussy eaters allowed and no eating from a tray in front of the telly.

A takaway was fish and chips as nothing else was available, and few working class ever ate out until the first Chinese Restaurants and Berni Steak houses appeared in the seventies.

And obesity was extremely rare.

And obesity was extremely rare.

Nonsense. It wasn't as common, but it wasn't "extremely rare". That is one of those myths that is propagating faster than normal due to it being repeated over and over on the internet.

Archived