What did people eat from say 30 's to late 70 's

Nonsense. It wasn't as common, but it wasn't "extremely rare". That is one of those myths that is propagating faster than normal due to it being repeated over and over on the internet.

'Rare' - 'not common' - what's the difference in the real world ?:rolleyes:

Put simply - obese people where not seen so frequently in the 1930's - why was this ?

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:34 ----------

Article here about obesity; http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/23/truth-about-obesity-10-shocking-things-need-to-know

There's a picture of some boys on a beach in the 50s. I bet not many kids now look like them but that's how kids should look weight-wise.

Very interesting article for anyone interested in the causes of obesity and the impact it has on health and life expectancy.

hello .. for the past two days i been reading up on peoples experiences of when toilets were outside and people washed in tin baths in front of the living room. I find this really interesting as it wasent really that long ago, maybe stopped in the late 70's to early 80 's .. anyhow because people didnt have fridge freezers, i am wondering what meals people used to eat through the week. Does anyone remember their meals they used to have, also what is a geyser and a copper. their mentioned but noone describes what it is other than they were heated of some kind .. thanks

My childhood.

I'm not sure what a geyser is as we didn't have one I assume it was for hot water, as we had the electric we had a pan on the stove for hot water it was my sisters job to keep it full and hot, god help her if she didn't.

We had a copper though it was a big cauldron for boiling the washing, built in to the corner of the scullery as I remember I don't think we ever used it.

I remember having baths in the tin tub in front of the range, while the family crowded round because it was too expensive to light a fire in the front room as well.

I remember having baths in the tin tub in front of the range, while the family crowded round because it was too expensive to light a fire in the front room as well.

I'd been wondering how long it would be before this thread turned into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

Tin tub? Ours were paper.

'Rare' - 'not common' - what's the difference in the real world ?:rolleyes:

Put simply - obese people where not seen so frequently in the 1930's - why was this

Not sure if you heard of it, but there was this thing called 'The Great Depression'.

It might be true to say that the food back then was a damned sight healthier than the fast food junk too many people, especially the young, rely on for meals these days.

I left the UK for Canada in 1965 and before that obesity was a rarity in the UK as I can well remember.

Michelle Obama initiated a program for healthier school meals which wasn't the success it was hoped for. Turns out that much of the food is being dumped by the students.

70 percent of American youths would fail to qualify for entrance into the military due to being overweight and otherwise physically unfit if the draft was to be re-instated today

Weren't people supposed to never have been healthier than during the 2nd world war, with rationing and all.

But then they only really had the pre-welfare state and the depression of the thirties to beat, when people were only a potato away from starving.

Weren't people supposed to never have been healthier than during the 2nd world war, with rationing and all.

But then they only really had the pre-welfare state and the depression of the thirties to beat, when people were only a potato away from starving.

That's an interesting comment. Certainly obesity wasnt a problem among the populace during WW2. Obesity as you already know leads to all kinds of other health problems, Type 2 diabetes in some cases, hypertension, heart problems, kidneys etc

In that sense the WW2 generation were healthier and as people were encouraged to grow as many veggies as possible either in gardens or on allotments that was also a big plus. Other foods such as eggs, fish, poultry meat, cheese were rationed and citrus fruits and bananas non existent so there may have been a vitamin defiency also.

But as you said many felt the hardships of the depression and before the NHS came into being so that's another factor to consider. It was quite common for young adults to have lost many of their teeth by their mid twenties.

As a young kid I was the beneficiary of the post war health service, school milk and good hot meals.

God Bless Clement Attlee and the post war Labour Government. I doubt if Churchill's party had remained in power none of this would have taken place

Not sure if you heard of it, but there was this thing called 'The Great Depression'.

There has been studies that show that the pregnant women of that time lacked some vital vitamins/minerals and their babies suffered the effects.

What's with the apostrophes? My mother used to leave the Sunday leftovers in the oven and reheat them on Monday. On the odd occasion we got salmonella, it was referred to as 'mushroom poisoning'. It was only when I left home that I realised how close my Mother came to killing me on more than one occasion.

This I know.

I was replying to someone who was trying to tell me that seeing an obese person in the 1930's was more common that it was. There was such poverty that few could afford to eat enough food to become obese.

My mother used to leave the Sunday leftovers in the oven and reheat them on Monday. On the odd occasion we got salmonella, it was referred to as 'mushroom poisoning'. It was only when I left home that I realised how close my Mother came to killing me on more than one occasion.

We must have been rich, we got a fridge in the eventies, and it was stews or fried potatoe upto Wednesday

Archived