What did people eat from say 30 's to late 70 's

Of course, my Dad was part of the war generation, and a kid in the thirties. They never wasted a thing. He talks longingly of brawn, made out of pigs face, chitterlings and bag, (think that's what it's called) made out of sheep's intestines and stomach bag, and sheep's brain broth, I kid you not. Then there was always Tripe and onions, oxtail, heart, kidneys, pig's trotters and liver. Everything but the squeak...

Apart from the brain broth, I remember all these items being eaten by my parents. Cow heel was another disgusting looking delicacy on the menu.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 22:28 ----------

It might be true to say that the food back then was a damned sight healthier than the fast food junk too many people, especially the young, rely on for meals these days.

I left the UK for Canada in 1965 and before that obesity was a rarity in the UK as I can well remember.

Michelle Obama initiated a program for healthier school meals which wasn't the success it was hoped for. Turns out that much of the food is being dumped by the students.

70 percent of American youths would fail to qualify for entrance into the military due to being overweight and otherwise physically unfit if the draft was to be re-instated today

It's said that in modern day western society, it's the first time in the history of the world that the poor are fat and the rich are thin.

Nonsense. It wasn't as common, but it wasn't "extremely rare". That is one of those myths that is propagating faster than normal due to it being repeated over and over on the internet.

Obesity was definitely less common in the 60s and 70s than now. Maybe because people ate "proper food" and not the microwaveable convenience rubbish that is available these days

Apart from the brain broth, I remember all these items being eaten by my parents. Cow heel was another disgusting looking delicacy on the menu.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 22:28 ----------

It's said that in modern day western society, it's the first time in the history of the world that the poor are fat and the rich are thin.

In this country you would see far more obese people living in places like trailer parks or Section 8 housing projects than in middle/upper class types of accommodation

Cyril Smith .. lol he was big in the 70 's, not seen anyone as big as him from that era though

Alison Moyet in the 1980's was considered a 'big lass' and was often ridiculed for it in the press. Looking at her now she looks of 'normal' build - this demonstrates how our definition of obese has changed over the past 30 years.

Equally - Demis Roussos was the butt of many a comedian's joke because of his weight in the 1970's and 80's - looking at the old pictures in 2014 no one would bat an eyelid.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/demis-roussos-pictures.html

Archived