Photos in Public Places

publishing / broadcasting is the gray area. Imagine your kid walking out of school, on the beach etc. Someone takes A video or image then puts it online or TV. Thats the gray area.

Taking the video or image is not against the law.

tv and newspapers will always pixelate faces unless it is a stock image.

The only people that appear to have no problem publishing the images are probably unemployed youtubers and have nothing to lose when taken to court.

Simple answer you can film anything you like. But expect a chap at the door when you publish, broadcast it without permission. Gray area Yes. But think about it!

Can I ask why you are filming the kids doing PE from across the street? Is one of them your kid? Nothing the police can do .... But try publish it online and see if you get a chap at the door!

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 01:07 ----------

To simplify .. I am strutting my stuff along the beach in magaluf. Someone takes a photo of his friends that happens to have me in the background and posts it on facebook. I happen to see this photo that has been published without my permission. He now has two options, Pixelate my face or remove the photo.

publishing / broadcasting is the gray area. Imagine your kid walking out of school, on the beach etc. Someone takes A video or image then puts it online or TV. Thats the gray area.

The only people that appear to have no problem publishing the images are probably unemployed youtubers and have nothing to lose when taken to court.

Simple answer you can film anything you like. But expect a chap at the door when you publish, broadcast it without permission. Gray area Yes. But think about it!

Can I ask why you are filming the kids doing PE from across the street? Is one of them your kid? Nothing the police can do .... But try publish it online and see if you get a chap at the door!

To simplify .. I am strutting my stuff along the beach in magaluf. Someone takes a photo of his friends that happens to have me in the background and posts it on facebook. I happen to see this photo that has been published without my permission. He now has two options, Pixelate my face or remove the photo.

As has been pointed out before, you are patently talking rubbish.

There is no expectation of privacy in the UK if you are not in a private dwelling or it's curtailage. There is nothing you can do to stop someone from publishing a photo unless it is libellous or defamatory.

If it was illegal to take pictures of people in public then the paps would be out of a job. It's a good law imagine having to ask permission of everyone in the background to take a picture of your mates in a club.

If you stick a camera in someone's face you will probably get a black eye.Just be sensible about it,

Option 3 he says "NO"

I wear one of these whenever in public :hihi:

http://tiwibzone.tiwib.netdna-cdn.com/images/minecraft-masks.jpg

Rite, what's the score on taking photos of people in public places?

I know in confined places like indoors or outside activities that seeking permission from parents is say respected but what about out and about?

I cannot see anyone objecting for suspect reasons like market places but you would think that 90% of public places are fair game!

Also on this subject, you will need permission from your subject to take portraits but what about using someone else's camera to take photos, like had this problem a few years ago on holiday and used a photo of myself and some locals that my friend took with my camera then when I used the photo online he had issues because I used the image without his permission even though it was my camera to start with, maybe he was taking the ****

You can take photos in public of whatever and whoever you like, basically.

Being in a "confined" space doesn't alter anything.

A borrowed camera and image is slightly more complicated, but if you ask someone to take a photo of you with your own camera, then the implication is that you will retain the rights to the photo.

If they borrow the camera for a day (with your permission) then the implication (IMO) is that they would own the photos.

---------- Post added 01-07-2014 at 08:20 ----------

For private images there are no restrictions to permission providing the images are taken in a public place. It may be illegal to then publish such images for public use.

Under what law?

However, if you go around taking pictures of people without their permission don't be surprised if you end up being arrested. And rightly so.

I'd be surprised, and angry. And making a complaint for wrongful arrest.

People have no right to not be photographed, and any arrest would be unlawful.

---------- Post added 01-07-2014 at 08:22 ----------

You're entirely wrong. There is no gray area there at all.

And many many broadcasts show protests, crowds, passers by without blurring their faces.

He has another option, tell you to jog on, what do you think you could do about it.

Archived