Help with info on my ww2 bullet

I have to confess to being completely bemused here.

The description in the OP is of an unfired bullet, how did it get into someones body?

There are numerous cases of bullets not being removed because they have been lodged next to vital nerves or arteries and it has been judged best to leave them.

But an entire undischarged cartridge and bullet? Doesn't make sense.

Are you sure this wasn't your grandads bullet in the same way that Baldrick in Blackadder had a bullet with his name on it?

He was working on the theory that if he had possession of 'the bullet with his name on' he couldn't be killed by it. :)

I have to confess to being completely bemused here.

The description in the OP is of an unfired bullet, how did it get into someones body?

There are numerous cases of bullets not being removed because they have been lodged next to vital nerves or arteries and it has been judged best to leave them.

But an entire undischarged cartridge and bullet? Doesn't make sense.

Are you sure this wasn't your grandads bullet in the same way that Baldrick in Blackadder had a bullet with his name on it?

He was working on the theory that if he had possession of 'the bullet with his name on' he couldn't be killed by it. :)

You know this is exactly what i thought! but honestly, i was there when the bullet was given back to my aunt after it was taken out! doesnt make sense to me either!

You know this is exactly what i thought! but honestly, i was there when the bullet was given back to my aunt after it was taken out! doesnt make sense to me either!

You must have a casing round for the lettering, there would be no stampings on the bullet itself.

Can you post a picture of this, anda closeup of the lettering?

You must have a casing round for the lettering, there would be no stampings on the bullet itself.

Can you post a picture of this, anda closeup of the lettering?

I dont know how?

The thing is your grandfather must have known that it was a complete bullet and informed your aunt.

There's no way that they'd bother going to the trouble of extracting a spent bullet prior to cremation. It's only a piece of metal and would simply melt.

I suppose if there had been an explosion amongst stored ammunition then an unfired cartridge could have been blown at speed into your grandfather.

Can't really think of another way of it happening.

This is what a 9mm bullet looks like that's been fired and hit something: http://everydaytactical.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dscn1044.jpg

These are live 9mm rounds that haven't been fired: http://shop.fitzmunitionworks.com/9mm-Luger-1000-Rounds-9mm115RN1000.htm

If it is a live round (i.e. not a dummy round or one that's been deactivated), possessing it is an offence (assuming you don't have the relevant firearms certificate). Also, if the latter, he certainly wasn't 'shot' with it, there must be some other explanation how it got there!

The thing is your grandfather must have known that it was a complete bullet and informed your aunt.

There's no way that they'd bother going to the trouble of extracting a spent bullet prior to cremation. It's only a piece of metal and would simply melt.

I suppose if there had been an explosion amongst stored ammunition then an unfired cartridge could have been blown at speed into your grandfather.

Can't really think of another way of it happening.

Your theory makes sense but would be a one in a million thing to happen and doesnt go along with the story that he took a bullet for a friend.

I also dont think a live round would be left inside someone.

Who was it that gave your aunt the removed bullet? (to the op)

Archived