Nosy Neighbours can check on disability benefits

What about someone, say 62 year old who has worked all their life and find themselves unemployed. They have paid into the system all their working life it is not just us the taxpayers that are paying for the benefit, they are just getting back some of what they have put in.

That's too complicated. Apparently the population can be split neatly into two sections: those who pay tax; and those who claim benefits. No-one could ever do both at some point in their lives! What does that mean for anyone who claims a state pension?

IMO if people want handouts, what the problem with it being public knowledge?

Because people can become disabled through no fault of their own for a start.

Because some people stigmatise others for being disabled

Because it's related to your health records which are private

Because most importantly, if there is a robust method for determining eligibility in place, then it falls under the head of "none of your damn business"

---------- Post added 03-07-2014 at 22:39 ----------

That's too complicated. Apparently the population can be split neatly into two sections: those who pay tax; and those who claim benefits. No-one could ever do both at some point in their lives! What does that mean for anyone who claims a state pension?

I pay tax. I claim free prescriptions due to my medical history. Oh no shock horror I'm not exclusively in one category.

What about someone, say 62 year old who has worked all their life and find themselves unemployed. They have paid into the system all their working life it is not just us the taxpayers that are paying for the benefit, they are just getting back some of what they have put in.

Wouldn't they be eligible for retirement.

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 08:45 ----------

Yeah, but that's not fair. Some like HH need someone to tread on to make themselves feel better.

Sorry, but I don't see the fuss.

A new vehicle check service on the DVLA website allows visitors to find out whether their neighbours are receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA) or either rate of the mobility component of personal independence payment (PIP).

It could have continued to say

"Much like they could have done previously, by looking at the tax disc in the car window."

So, basically, nothing to see here. Move along.

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 08:46 ----------

What does that mean for anyone who claims a state pension?

Should who claims the state pension and how much it is be secret then?

Whether the public are entitled to know who is on benefits or not, why would it even matter? What use is such information to a member of the public?

It would make benefit fraud much more risky if your neighbours know you are claiming benefits, because they are the people most likley to see you working, or doing the things you claim you are unable to do.

Archived