Definition of success in one`s life?

Why not? were discussing success, seems a fair enough question considering you define success by how much you earn = what you do to earn it.

I do define success by money, because that is the ONLY way real success can be accurately measured, but that doesn't mean I myself am successful or have achieved anything out of the ordinary. But what if I said I was a medical surgeon, (I'm not), but lets say I was, would you rush off to medical school?

I do define success by money, because that is the ONLY way real success can be accurately measured, but that doesn't mean I myself am successful or have achieved anything out of the ordinary. But what if I said I was a medical surgeon, (I'm not), but lets say I was, would you rush off to medical school?

Oh Coutts, you do tickle me. :hihi:

No, you're not a surgeon as you obviously think being one constitutes success. Therefore your own means of income must fall short of your expectations simply because you don't earn the income of a surgeon..so tell us, what do you do? Being successful in your career doesn't equate to being successful in life, although it can do.

No, you're not a surgeon as you obviously think being one constitutes success. Therefore your own means of income must fall short of your expectations simply because you don't earn the income of a surgeon..so tell us, what do you do?

Strangely you missed the point of that exercise, which I thought was clear but obviously not. But you are right in one regard, my own income and success DOES fall short of my own expectation but has nothing to do with the earnings of a surgeon, or a solicitor or a pilot. I'm sure they have a vocation to study for those professions but man can never realise real financial success by the hour, income from just the days toil of one man. It would be totally absurd to believe otherwise. A nice comfortable living maybe but that's it.

No Waldo! Perceived success is totally universal. We all know exactly what "real" success is and means, which is precisely why the number one question asked every second around the world in social gatherings is,

What do you do for a living?

People ask that question sometimes before they even ask your name. Human nature, we need to know where we are on the totem pole of success, it matters to us big time, we can't help ourselves. And we are right to be that way, as a species it enables us to to improve to grow and to develop, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Yeah, that's one way in which, no doubt a lot of people, define success; in terms of power and influence (which I think is essentially what you're saying).

Of course, no amount of power and influence, will mitigate the fact that at some point, you will be no more; everything you experienced and possessed in life, will mean nothing. In the final analysis, all we have is experience.

Some people want to spend the limited time they'd do have, pursuing goals other than the accumulation of wealth, power and influence. Nothing wrong with that (going for wealth, power, or experience), whatever floats ya boat really.

Yeah, that's one way in which, no doubt a lot of people, define success; in terms of power and influence (which I think is essentially what you're saying).

You can't have power and influence without money. Once the money is gone, the power and influence are sure to follow.

Of course, no amount of power and influence, will mitigate the fact that at some point, you will be no more; everything you experienced and possessed in life, will mean nothing. In the final analysis, all we have in experience.

Oh here we go, another one, "you can't take it with you", please don't think like this Waldo, it's so beneath you.

Some people want to spend the limited time they'd do have, pursuing goals other than the accumulation of wealth, power and influence. Nothing wrong with that, whatever floats ya boat really.

Agreed, but the only goals that once achieved could be classed as making a person successful would have to be in pursuit of those things. Which brings us back to the original question.

When is someone going to actually credit real success in this thread. Is it just going to be filled with nonsensical cliches, surely someone is going to come up with something in favour of monetary gain.

Archived