Just what do they mean by your five a day?

What surprises me is that places where the diet is fish & rice are doing OK and probably don't actually get any of their five a day most days.

Generally, the main part of the diet is rice, with fish being used in small amounts as condiments.

Generally any third worlders who are not actually starving, who subsist primarily on unprocessed carbs like corn/rice/wheat/potatoes, whilst not consuming highly processed foods and large amounts of animal produce, tend to be pretty lean and healthy.

Heart disease, obesity, cancer, diabetes, stokes etc, tend to afflict westerners who consume large amounts of animal produce, highly processed 'foods', and stuff containing lots of fats/oils/vegetable oils.

What surprises me is that places where the diet is fish & rice are doing OK and probably don't actually get any of their five a day most days.

Don't over think it - its meant to be an easy way to get people to think about eating more fresh fruit and vegetables, as opposed to heavily processed foods that are full of fat, sugar, salt and flavourings.

If you think of a portion as 'handful' or about the same size as a medium apple, and try to have 5 different fruits or veg a day you'll get a decent range of vitamins an nutrients.

Beware processed foods and drinks that claim to have '2 of your 5 a day' - things like smoothies often say this so people assume they are healthy, but can have more sugar in them than a can of coke.

Don't over think it - its meant to be an easy way to get people to think about eating more fresh fruit and vegetables, as opposed to heavily processed foods that are full of fat, sugar, salt and flavourings.

If you think of a portion as 'handful' or about the same size as a medium apple, and try to have 5 different fruits or veg a day you'll get a decent range of vitamins an nutrients.

Beware processed foods and drinks that claim to have '2 of your 5 a day' - things like smoothies often say this so people assume they are healthy, but can have more sugar in them than a can of coke.

Beware processed foods pretty much sums it up. (Personally I have no issue with a moderate amount of sugar).

And it's no longer '5 a day'- I believe they've upped it to 7, or is it 9?

Next it'll be 11-a-day and eventually they'll approach the real truth, which is 'everything a day' to be unprocessed fruits/vegetation.

Because processed 'foods' are not food, they're the cause, along with gross over consumption of animal produce and fats in general, of the majority of the plagues of heart disease, diabetes, obesity and cancer which is afflicting the developed world.

Eat unprocessed fruits and plants to your hearts content, strictly limit fats and animal produce, avoid processed 'foods' and you'll be lean and well.

I eat 500g of Marmite each week ... should I try a fruit as well, or would that be overdoing it? :huh:

I don't actually like any kind of fruit except for Tesco double concentrated Cherries & Berries Squash (which contains cherries and berries), this I believe is very good for me, especially as I don't bother adding water to it. Anyone else who hates fruit should try this too. :thumbsup:

Beware processed foods pretty much sums it up. (Personally I have no issue with a moderate amount of sugar).

And it's no longer '5 a day'- I believe they've upped it to 7, or is it 9?

Next it'll be 11-a-day and eventually they'll approach the real truth, which is 'everything a day' to be unprocessed fruits/vegetation.

Because processed 'foods' are not food, they're the cause, along with gross over consumption of animal produce and fats in general, of the majority of the plagues of heart disease, diabetes, obesity and cancer which is afflicting the developed world.

Eat unprocessed fruits and plants to your hearts content, strictly limit fats and animal produce, avoid processed 'foods' and you'll be lean and well.

Not quite - a recent study found that people who eat more than 5 a day were generally less likely to suffer certain diseases and die of them.

The advice to eat at least 5 a day hasn't changed according to the NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/04April/Pages/Five-a-day-should-be-upped-to-seven-a-day.aspx

Basically eating some fresh fruit and veg is much better than eat nine, and eating more is even better....

Seems obvious, but the study puts some figures to it.

Archived