American looking for answers

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have just married into a Sheffield family. I have been able to trace their heritage back to Irish immigrants who migrated to Sheffield during the "Great famine" in Ireland. My husband is wanting to embrace his Irish heritage partly with participating in the Irish Heritage Festival here in Texas at the end of the year. He is wanting to wear a kilt/tartan/plaid for the occasion. My question is.... is there a "official" plaid pattern for the Irish of Sheffield? I have done some research of the internet and there doesn't seem to be a specific pattern to speak of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all!

Hi Plain Talker. Did his family come from Carrick on Suir?

I'm not entirely certain, where they came from, being an 'out-law' ( lol rather than an in-law!!! lol) all I am certain of is that they came over from county Tipperary, and settled in Sheffield, in Port Mahon.

Hub said that he'd researched the tartan, and that it was clan Ranald of MacDonald. That is all I know, I'm afraid.

Archived