There is a Sickness in the Land.

1) The vast majority of sexual abusers operate within their own family and circle of friends. Pillorying strangers,even high profile ones, helps to avoid this uncomfortable fact.

2) Why is this subject specifically relevant to Sheffield?

Or the UK, it isn't, but I reckon we are leading the way in exposing it.

He's just being pedantic and rather than come out openly and say this should be in General Discussions rather than Sheffield News, he prefers to be oblique and mysterious about it :D

Rather like the MP who's telling us a senior minister bearded him to tell him to keep his trap shut. Why not just say who it was, name and shame! The HofC isn't Sheffield Forum. It can be done under Parliamentary privilege.

1) The vast majority of sexual abusers operate within their own family and circle of friends. Pillorying strangers,even high profile ones, helps to avoid this uncomfortable fact.

2) Why is this subject specifically relevant to Sheffield?

If Sheffield is leading the way how many of your family, friends or workmates have been exposed? Because that is the reality. Someone you know and trust is or has been an abuser.

That's an interesting viewpoint posted by the O.P. but I'd make some points in addition:

1) I agree that the criminal justice system is imperfect, but I disagree that paedophiles are regarded as 'protected species' by professionals. The professionals I've worked with are more than aware of the manipulative and devious nature of those adults who seek to sexually abuse children. What would you like the professionals to do instead?

2) I think you're right that safeguarding children is everyone's responsibility, and that if people have genuine concerns then they should contact the NSPCC or some other relevant agency. But it would have been good to post a link to for a comprehensive list of the warning signs of abuse, so that we can all be properly informed.

3) We all need to be aware that in expressing revulsion at adults who abuse kids for sexual purposes we shouldn't forget that there are other types of abuse that also cause chronic misery for children (such as neglect, persistent bullying, and emotional abuse).

There's a paedophile on every street?!? There's only 2 houses on my street! Should I be worried?

There is only a dozen on here...I too am looking at the neighbours and thinking "well if its not you...."

Like I said the OP is way over the top scare-mongering of the sort to make even the Daily Mail blush

There is a Sickness in the Land.

By ‘Concerned’.

The sickness to which I refer is ‘paedophilia’,

I mean those who live on every street in every town and City, in Town and City Halls, in every police station, every school and university, every government department, every profession bar none.

May I suggest that you check online to see what the definition of every actually means.

Somebody I trust is an abuser? That is very bold statement.

It is a bold statement, but I knew at least half a dozen abusers before I even moved up to Sheffield when I was 18.

3 teachers (positions of trust, all of whom were tried, punished and removed from schools)

1 GP (position of trust, who was struck off and jailed)

2 parents of friends (again, traditionally positions of trust)

One of the most brazen examples was a man who lived in the street where I grew up. He was married and they had 6 children ranging from very young to 18 (when I was a young teen). He was convicted of both sexually abusing his daughters and of fathering a child with two of them and he was jailed, but his wife stood by him and took him back upon his release, resulting in all of the remaining children who were under 18 being taken into care. He still lives in the same street now.

These days I trust less and have more of an open mind to abuse happening. I do know several abusers but I wouldn't say that I trust any of them except that I trust that they will continue to do harm if allowed to do so.

Archived