Do you ever feel unwell on under 3 units alcohol?

It might well be the brand, I have a similar problem with Heineken. As much as I like the flavour of it I very rarely drink it as I always have some sort of hangover from it whether its cans, bottles or pints and if its one or five drinks.

only other thing is your diet/food intake. 568ml is 1 pint so unless you on an empty stomach I can't see 1 pint of medium strength (4.8%) giving enough alcohol to cause a fuggy head in the morning.

closest thing to stella in my eyes is carlsberg export, try that & see if you get the same effect.

Carlsberg always gave me a bad head, but I'm usually fine with Stella & Heineken. They are a bit bland though.

There are some great local real ales, some pale ales like lager with more flavour, try a few of those. Only problem is there are so many it's hard to work out which make you ill & you end up a drunk trying to find out.

Glad they have cleared off. Been invaded with foreign types in motorhomes up my neck of the woods . Absolute pain in the backside this bike ride. It ran less than half a mile from my spot just after it entered south Yorkshire. I can normally go days without seeing a sole round here , but this weekend we have been invaded by townies and foreigners. All done now . hopefully that bikeride will never darken our shores again.

I should hope so, you're a good few miles from the sea.

only other thing is your diet/food intake. 568ml is 1 pint so unless you on an empty stomach I can't see 1 pint of medium strength (4.8%) giving enough alcohol to cause a fuggy head in the morning.

It could be that you are drinking on an empty stomach or when you've not had enough other liquids in the preceding day.

Interesting point.

I actually aim to drink it on an empty stomach. I get the pleasant hit almost immediately. It feels like I’ve had a decent drink and all I need is the one can, so that keeps me on low intake of units. I usually have the drink about 3 or 4 hours before bedtime. I always have a decent meal afterwards before bed as it seems to help me sleep. If I drank with or after food I would have to consume more alcohol to get the same “feeling”. I don’t drink every day.

The next day, I don’t get the headache. I just feel unwell and can’t think straight when I first get up until I’ve made a few phone calls & drank a few mugs of tea.

I have to say, I do enjoy a can of Stella Artois. The thing is, as much as I enjoy it (and I do mean one can), I wake early morning, and have a muggy head when I do finally get up.

If it’s a large 568ml can (2.7 units) or a small 440ml can (2.1 units) the feeling is about the same-I feel rough. Now I’m not saying it is the brand, but it is hard to understand why it occurs on a relatively low dose of my favourite tipple. Anyone else have similar experiences on such a small amount?

Yes I do, I wouldn't regard myself as being a drinker......it wouldn't bother me if I didn't have a drink from one year to the next.

If I have a pint of lager, when I've had it I want to sleep and my head feels light.

A couple of glasses of red wine and I've got a blinding headache.

A couple of glasses of white wine and I'm ok ?

People don't really understand alcohol I think, let me elaborate.

I can drink rather a lot, two bottles of wine and you wouldn't be able to tell I had drunk at all. But, if I sit in the sun for some time, don't eat a lot and have a quick pint, I can be feeling tipsy. It isn't the alcohol that does it, it is the combination.

You'd have to beat me before I drink Stella (European snob and all that) but it isn't Stella's fault, it can happen with any beer.

Do you suffer with migraine as alcohol can instigate them and make it seem like you have a bad hangover?

There's absolutely no way anyone who's experienced a real migraine could mistake such for any hangover. Real migraines are totally debilitating, hangovers are a minor inconvenience in comparison.

There's absolutely no way anyone who's experienced a real migraine could mistake such for any hangover. Real migraines are totally debilitating, hangovers are a minor inconvenience in comparison.

Alcohol, particularly red wine, can trigger migraines and cluster headaches too, and the quantity of alcohol needed to trigger them can be really small. I know at least 2 people who can't drink red wine because of a just a couple of glasses causing crushing headaches. This is not at all the same thing as a hangover.

People don't really understand alcohol I think, let me elaborate.

I can drink rather a lot, two bottles of wine and you wouldn't be able to tell I had drunk at all. But, if I sit in the sun for some time, don't eat a lot and have a quick pint, I can be feeling tipsy. It isn't the alcohol that does it, it is the combination.

You'd have to beat me before I drink Stella (European snob and all that) but it isn't Stella's fault, it can happen with any beer.

I understand that bit all too well!

Archived