Do you ever feel unwell on under 3 units alcohol?

Alcohol, particularly red wine, can trigger migraines and cluster headaches too, and the quantity of alcohol needed to trigger them can be really small. I know at least 2 people who can't drink red wine because of a just a couple of glasses causing crushing headaches. This is not at all the same thing as a hangover.

I spent three years of migraine hell as a teen, and many more later in life. Alcohol made it worse, and yes it would trigger attacks, but i worked out it was more a hydration thing for me, and not the actual alcohol, though it was obviously a contributing factor.

It's rare i suffer migraines these days, even if i return home on hands and knees, as i know how to prepare myself to prevent them.

None of the pills worked for me.

100% Agree! Many factors play a part. But you need to Rehydrate.

agreed. The trick to good drinking is to have a glass of water for every glass of alcohol you consume - and having a toilet on standby as a result :D

I spent a lot of time in the Med for a job I had a few years ago and the difference between Italian/Greek/Portuguese drinkers and British/Dutch/Scandinavian drinkers is that the southerners actually drink alcohol AND a glass of water. Really is something that we should all start doing. :thumbsup:

agreed. The trick to good drinking is to have a glass of water for every glass of alcohol you consume - and having a toilet on standby as a result :D

I spent a lot of time in the Med for a job I had a few years ago and the difference between Italian/Greek/Portuguese drinkers and British/Dutch/Scandinavian drinkers is that the southerners actually drink alcohol AND a glass of water. Really is something that we should all start doing. :thumbsup:

I totally agree, though a glass of anything non alcoholic would be better than nothing.

Wish i'd learned this when i was a teen. I'd do a Friday or Saturday night in town, or even a party, and be unsure if i'd get out of bed during the rest of the week. It caused me so many problems you wouldn't believe. You don't really think about your bodies balance when you're that young though do you.

I totally agree, though a glass of anything non alcoholic would be better than nothing.

Wish i'd learned this when i was a teen. I'd do a Friday or Saturday night in town, or even a party, and be unsure if i'd get out of bed during the rest of the week. It caused me so many problems you wouldn't believe. You don't really think about your bodies balance when you're that young though do you.

Without wanting to become too graphic, I know exactly what you are talking about and one particular table in a local bar in Kollum will remember me all too well.

It is part of the massive difference in drinking culture here and in the Med, in Italy kids as young as 6 or 7 drink wine with dinner, it is not an unusual sensation to them and they learn straight away to limit their intake and how to deal with alcohol and hydration. Here we ban kids from drinking until they reach the point where they are incredibly curious about what they've seen for years and start hammering it down at 15/18 - not knowing how to be sensible about it.

I spent three years of migraine hell as a teen, and many more later in life. Alcohol made it worse, and yes it would trigger attacks, but i worked out it was more a hydration thing for me, and not the actual alcohol, though it was obviously a contributing factor.

It's rare i suffer migraines these days, even if i return home on hands and knees, as i know how to prepare myself to prevent them.

None of the pills worked for me.

For you maybe it wasn't the alcohol triggering the migraines, but for some it can be (or at least it can be caused by the other chemicals in the drink). How else could you explain a full visual aura migraine happening very predictably after 2 glasses of red wine but not after the same amount of white wine?

For you maybe it wasn't the alcohol triggering the migraines, but for some it can be (or at least it can be caused by the other chemicals in the drink). How else could you explain a full visual aura migraine happening very predictably after 2 glasses of red wine but not after the same amount of white wine?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I stated alcohol made things worse and was a definite factor. I'm just relating the "cure" i personally found and my personal experiences. I'm not saying they are definitive.

I could stuff myself on red wine and strong cheese late night, and suffer no ill effects as long as i was correctly hydrated before during and after. Lager and a kebab without taking on fluids would disable me. Others find a 180 degree disparity.

It did take me some years to work that out though.

I'd probably vomit if i took a gob full of bitter. :gag:

Can't say i've noticed the "wife beater" effect of Stella, and bar Bud* it's my favourite tipple.

*Cue the "girls drink" posts. :hihi:

Not a girlie joke but Bud, I'd sooner drink warm pI$$ (come to think of it that's better than Bud), very rarely I drink now anyway 2 pints & I'm gone, bad for a bloke who 10 years ago was a true beer monster.

If we go to York or Chester I like to try a couple of real ales, I bought some Duvel other week it was lovely, I also liked Erdinger.

I know my question is not related to thread but i wanna ask is there any benefit of drinking beer in summer and in general.

According to this recent article, it can be good. I emphasise the word "can" because the consensus seems to relate to beer intake in quite small amounts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2681639/Mines-pint-Full-vitamins-high-fibre-low-sugar-good-hair-benefits-beer.html

Alcohol, particularly red wine, can trigger migraines and cluster headaches too, and the quantity of alcohol needed to trigger them can be really small. I know at least 2 people who can't drink red wine because of a just a couple of glasses causing crushing headaches. This is not at all the same thing as a hangover.

I can't "do" red wine, either, that is one of my "triggers", along with certain cheeses (like Edam), coffee, and, back in the days when I ate meat, I found very processed meats like hot-dogs and luncheon meat would also trigger migraines. Certain "cheapo" orange squash brands would also start one off.

These days, it's usually getting too much sun, or being over-tired that trigger them.

Years ago, someone said to me, that the high tannins in red wine, (compared to the lack of them in white wine) could be the culprit.

Archived