Good old fashioned community spirit.

I grew up in a village where most people knew me and my family, you can garuntee that if you walk to the shop everyone will speak or make eye contact and smile.

We had village bonfires, gala's on the school field where everyone got involved.

If your bin need to go out and you had forgot you never had to worry someone would put it out for you and visa versa. If you had a line full of washing and it rained someone would take it in and you had no worry about it being stolen they would normally hand it back to you folded and dry.

I moved to Sheffield about 5\6 years ago. The way of life here (15 miles away from where I grew up) Is so different. I can pass 10 people on my way to work, no one makes eye contact, no one speaks to you. If you say "Morning" you are looked at like you have 3 heads.

When we moved into this house I brought my neighbours bin in, I was accused of trying to pinch it!

I can recall one day my mum waiting for a phone call about my grandma who was coming out of brain surgery. She needed some bits from the shop so sent me. I remember her watching me down the backs, when I got to the street someone shouting "I'll watch her on the village for you Anne" When I got her shopping one of the girls watched me back on the village and my mum was waiting in the garden to watch me back up the road. I could never feel safe letting my son go to the shop relying on someone else to watch him round here.

Its really sad. I had a fantastic upbringing. That sense of community and belonging feels like it is lost forever!

I did the opposite Starlet.....

Left Sheffield 3 years ago and moved to a small village.

Everyone makes eye contact and makes conversation, if only a friendly "Hello".

Community spirit is still alive here.

I grew up in a village where most people knew me and my family, you can garuntee that if you walk to the shop everyone will speak or make eye contact and smile.

We had village bonfires, gala's on the school field where everyone got involved.

If your bin need to go out and you had forgot you never had to worry someone would put it out for you and visa versa. If you had a line full of washing and it rained someone would take it in and you had no worry about it being stolen they would normally hand it back to you folded and dry.

I moved to Sheffield about 5\6 years ago. The way of life here (15 miles away from where I grew up) Is so different. I can pass 10 people on my way to work, no one makes eye contact, no one speaks to you. If you say "Morning" you are looked at like you have 3 heads.

When we moved into this house I brought my neighbours bin in, I was accused of trying to pinch it!

I can recall one day my mum waiting for a phone call about my grandma who was coming out of brain surgery. She needed some bits from the shop so sent me. I remember her watching me down the backs, when I got to the street someone shouting "I'll watch her on the village for you Anne" When I got her shopping one of the girls watched me back on the village and my mum was waiting in the garden to watch me back up the road. I could never feel safe letting my son go to the shop relying on someone else to watch him round here.

Its really sad. I had a fantastic upbringing. That sense of community and belonging feels like it is lost forever!

I could relate the same story in reverse. I grew up in central liverpool. Many of our 'neighbours' were just derelict houses (latterly converted in 'luxury' flats). Community was absolutely, totally, unequivocally unheard of.

Now I live in Stocksbridge and all our neighbours say hello, people say good morning/evening when you're out walking, chat at the bus stop and on the bus etc. It's nice.

I bet they're not quite so friendly to people who only have five fingers!

If only there was an original joke award on here, I'm sure you'd win it :roll:

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 17:46 ----------

Yeah but saying hello to someone isn't community spirit, many muggers say hello before mugging someone at knifepoint

I personally don't feel the need (or want) for anything further from my neighbours though. As I said in my earlier post, the world is a small place now and I'd rather spend my efforts on actual friends, not people who just happen to live nearby who I have nothing in common with.

Archived