Thursday Strike Action - megathread

It was genuine question....it's not as though the LEA will lose cash from a loss of sales/production..

The LEA may not be interested in a loss of profit, but their masters may take a far keener interest in public opinion.

I can see parent are inconvenienced for the day and it might directly cost them money for having to arrange an alternative. However the teachers will be saying the quality of education is suffering which does more harm to your kids in the long run.

40% of teachers leave the profession in the first 5 years. Why? Also today is more about the support staff and teaching assistants who are low paid and much less qualified to teach.

I think striking is a bit outdated, but support their right to strike if thats what they want to do. All very well going on the easy topics of long holidays, but its out of term time that teachers prepare courses for the following year. If parents are really bothered then the overall quality of education kids receive is more important than a few days strikes.

I think the general consensus are in support of the strikes to be honest, I am not personally inconvenienced by the strikes however I do have friends who have been and they still very much understand the reasons for the strikes and are in complete support of them.

I think what people have to remember is that the strikes aren't solely about salaries and people wanting more wages, they are about public safety and education standards therefore the strikes are very much in our favour.

Nothing. My little boy is at school as usual today!

I do have sympathy with the teachers as they do a brilliant job (speaking from my experience of the teachers at my son's school), however we're all in the same boat whichever sector we work in. No pay rises, cuts to pensions and other perks etc. The public sector is not alone and no amount of striking is going to put enough money in the pot to give them what they want, and probably do deserve. The country is skint. We all just have to ride it out and hope things pick up, sad as it is.

Its not only teachers who are striking, so why pick on them alone.

The teachers in my family are both working today.

It seems to be the same on Facebook too, picking on the teachers. Many schools are closed because of a lack of site and support staff doing the essentials in keeping the building running safely.

Would you (not you Willman) be happy having your childs school open by staff who don't know what to do with the fire alarm in the event of a fire alarm? Or a school where there's no toilet paper or paper towels because the site staff aren't in to change them and nobody else will do (or have to do) the job? What about clearing up vomit or blood? In a typical secondary school there's at least one incident a day involving them.

Only the NUT are involved and many members are not striking because of something to do with a two year old ballot?

A lot. It is our third strike this academic year but the state of education demands something be done. Teachers work their a##es off. Hats off to all who have gone on strike today!

Ask the parents what they think jemson! You strike, they lose pay. You think that's fair? Never heard of teachers striking during their holidays!

:roll::roll:

---------- Post added 10-07-2014 at 15:04 ----------

Good luck to all the public service workers on strike today

Not from me sheffscott. Today our bin wasn't emptied (not for the first time). Service from my Council is at best "poor" and has been for a few years. Police just as bad (don't want to know attitude!).

I know the government has cut funding but all that happens is it gets passed on to the public. Why don't they look inwards and slim down the management structure - it wold save a fortune. I have the same view of the NHS by the way - nurses are not overly paid, but look at all the "Managers"!:):):)

---------- Post added 10-07-2014 at 15:07 ----------

I think the general consensus are in support of the strikes to be honest, I am not personally inconvenienced by the strikes however I do have friends who have been and they still very much understand the reasons for the strikes and are in complete support of them.

I think what people have to remember is that the strikes aren't solely about salaries and people wanting more wages, they are about public safety and education standards therefore the strikes are very much in our favour.

peakexpat - education standards? They won't improve if the children can't attend school because the teachers are on strike.

:(:(

Archived