Thursday Strike Action - megathread

Haven't all the studies thant normalise for age, qualifications, hours etc found public sector workers get paid on average 8-10% more than their private sector rivals (who raise the funds to pay for the public sector). Factor in the much better pensions and public sector workers really are the lucky ones.

Ah yes. I remember it well. One minute I was trying to explain the finer points of Hess' Law to a bunch of 17 year olds. Next thing I knew, I was justifying my huge bonus to the board of Fanny Mae.

Good times.

Why didnt you get a job in a bank? I understand it pays a lot more than teaching kids to count.

Haven't all the studies thant normalise for age, qualifications, hours etc found public sector workers get paid on average 8-10% more than their private sector rivals (who raise the funds to pay for the public sector). Factor in the much better pensions and public sector workers really are the lucky ones.

Public sector workers are paid on average 14.5% more than those in the private sector according to the Office for National Statistics. My partners pay dropped 22% when she was made redundant three years ago, she now works longer hours for less money in the private sector, she wants to get back into public sector ASAP.

PS workers are drip-fed the idea they are under paid and under valued by their mega-Unions, in order to keep the militancy up.

Unite etc are far too big to be decent Unions, they have to cover too many bases to concetrate on any sector.

Look at the most succesful TU over the past 20 years...One grade in one industry - managed to take a typical annual salary form about 16 to 43 grand :D

Link us up then . I dont think youve read the figures correctly.

---------- Post added 10-07-2014 at 22:55 ----------

Public sector workers are paid on average 14.5% more than those in the private sector according to the Office for National Statistics. My partners pay dropped 22% when she was made redundant three years ago, she now works longer hours for less money in the private sector, she wants to get back into public sector ASAP.

Again link us up if you are going to use stats so we cna see where you got them from and whether you are using them fairly and not misleading us.

Guest sibon
Link us up then . I dont think youve read the figures correctly.

---------- Post added 10-07-2014 at 22:55 ----------

Again link us up if you are going to use stats so we cna see where you got them from and whether you are using them fairly and not misleading us.

Allow me.

It seems that my bull**** detector is still fully functional.

Anyone else got any lies they'd like to share?

heh id already found them sibon i just hate people making figures up or being unable to even understand them but twisting them so they give a false picture.

Key Points

Average pay levels vary between the public and private sectors because of the different jobs and characteristics of the people within each sector

In April 2013 it is estimated that on average the pay of the public sector was between 2.2% and 3.1% higher after adjusting for the different jobs and personal characteristics of the workers

The average pay difference in favour of the public sector has narrowed since the year 2010, which in part reflects the restraints on public sector pay over this period

On average large organisations tend to earn more than small organisations and the public sector generally consists of large organisations (over 500 employees) whereas the private sector is more evenly split between large and smaller organisations.

After further adjusting for the different organisation sizes between the public and private sector, in April 2013 it is estimated that on average the pay of the public sector was between 1.3% and 2.4% lower than the private sector.

Looking at those who are among the lowest earners in each sector, using the bottom 5% as a cut off point, public sector workers earned on average around 13% more than private sector workers in 2013 when adjusting for the different jobs and personal characteristics of the workers. When further adjusting for the different organisational sizes the estimate was around 8% more.

For the higher earners, using the top 5% as a cut off point, public sector workers earned on average around 6% less than private sector workers in 2013 when adjusting for the different jobs and personal characteristics of the workers. When further adjusting for the different organisational sizes the estimate was around 11% less.

Looking more locally across the UK in 2013, when adjusting for the different jobs and personal characteristics of the workers, on average, Northern Ireland had the largest pay difference in favour of the public sector at 15% (7% when adjusting for organisation size). Public sector workers, on average, earned 8% less (11% less when adjusting for organisation size) than private sector workers in London.

Comparing low and high earners, London had the largest variation between public and private sector in April 2013. Among the lowest earners in each sector, using the bottom 5% as a cut off point, public sector workers earned 20% more (15% more when adjusting for organisation size) than private sector workers. For the higher earners, using the top 5% as a cut off point, public sector workers earned 24% less (28% less when adjusting for organisation size) than private sector workers.

Thanks Sibon. So the two studies show that for the lower paid workers (which is really who we are talking about here) are paid 8% more in one study and 13% more in the other study.

And they wonder why the people in pride swallowing low paid private sector jobs who rarely get ANY pay rise at all have no sympathy!

Guest sibon
Thanks Sibon. So the two studies show that for the lower paid workers (which is really who we are talking about here) are paid 8% more in one study and 13% more in the other study.

And they wonder why the people in pride swallowing low paid private sector jobs who rarely get ANY pay rise at all have no sympathy!

So. Public sector low paid workers get a living wage. Those in the private sector do not.

But the private sector workers can top up their meagre wages with benefits.

In other words, the tax payer subsidises poor employers. Look a little deeper and you will find that the private sector out pays the public sector at the top end.

So in reality, the taxpayer is subsidising high pay in the private sector, by allowing them to exploit the low paid. Something to think quite hard about, wouldn't you agree.

I don't just throw this stuff together, you know

Archived