Thursday Strike Action - megathread

Responsible. You're only looking at this from one point of view. The public sector can also be seen as something that is cheaper paid for by taxation than by everyone paying for services they use individually. Without it a huge portion of the population would struggle to pay for many services that are often considered important or vital.

Public sector workers also pay tax on the money they earn by working in the public sector.

Is the way those workers have been treated fair?

Yes it is fair on them because increasing their pay will inevitably lead to job losses and a poorer service for everyone else. One public sector worker I know suggested that if everyone took a pay cut no one would loose their jobs, that idea didn't go down to well and many lost their jobs.

What's even more crazy is that when there's a rush on the government brings in private sector agency staff who are often on higher wages than regular Civil Servants, paid for out of the public purse of course. They mess everything up and then leg it leaving a far worse mess than when they came, which leaves regular staff having to tidy up after them costing the government manpower and even more money.

Yes it is fair on them because increasing their pay will inevitably lead to job losses and a poorer service for everyone else. One public sector worker I know suggested that if everyone took a pay cut no one would loose their jobs, that idea didn't go down to well and many lost their jobs.

Why is it inevitable? The government seems capable of finding millions or even billions for other things. Is it fair to say public sector workers should face continuing cuts when the government can find money for other things?

Why is it inevitable? The government seems capable of finding millions or even billions for other things. Is it fair to say public sector workers should face continuing cuts when the government can find money for other things?

Other things are also important and the money is divided between them, what do you propose we don't do so that public sector workers can have a pay rise.

Other things are also important and the money is divided between them, what do you propose we don't do so that public sector workers can have a pay rise.

Nuclear weapons, cut back on MP perks. Abolish the monarchy. Force major corporations to pay tax they owe.

Ok, you're in the 'fair to treat public sector workers as they are being treated' category.

Nuclear weapons, cut back on MP perks. Abolish the monarchy. Force major corporations to pay tax they owe.

Ok, you're in the 'fair to treat public sector workers as they are being treated' category.

And what will we cut the next time they want a pay rise the country can't afford, and the time after that. Then you have to consider that private sector tax payers might want Nuclear weapons and the Monarchy far more than they want public sector workers to have a pay rise.

And what will we cut the next time they want a pay rise the country can't afford, and the time after that. Then you have to consider that private sector tax payers might want Nuclear weapons and the Monarchy far more than they want public sector workers to have a pay rise.

Cant afford? The government has decided it can afford to spend money on other things, why not this? At what point should public sector workers be entitled to a pay rise?

Cant afford? The government has decided it can afford to spend money on other things, why not this? At what point should public sector workers be entitled to a pay rise?

Probably because the people that voted in this government would rather they spend the money on the other things and not pay increasing for public sector workers.

If I'm honest, given the kind of views I have seen expressed over the last few years about the public sector I had anticipated a far greater level of negativity and even hostility.

Are people starting to think that maybe public sector workers might be right to think the government is being unreasonable?

---------- Post added 07-07-2014 at 22:35 ----------

Probably because the people that voted in this government would rather they spend the money on the other things and not pay increasing for public sector workers.

Yes thankyou daneha, I think I got that you're anti public sector.

Archived