"Dutch bikes" in Sheffield

Does this sort of geometry reduce the need to lean on your arms

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/creme-cafe-racer-doppio-mens-dynamo-7sp-bike-2013/rp-prod86199

Mountain bikes can be ridden without your weight forward, and hybrids are somewhere between mountain and road, from what I understand.

Yes, that geometry is what I need. I think it is mainly the fact that my current bike (as many bikes in the UK) has handlebars that are basically just one straight line (mountain-bikey), without folding in like the bike in your link. As I am quite handy around a bike I might simply try and change the handle-bars and see if that fixes the issue.

Still, there are some other factors: Dutch bikes tend to have an enclosed chain: No need to put your trousers in your socks. They come with a light system (dynamo, front and rear light). They come with an inbuilt lock and a stand so you can leave your bike somewhere without having to find a railing etc.

All those things might make it worth swapping my bike for a Dutch bike... I am giving it some serious thought at the moment, will see what happens.

What we wanted from a bike was chain guard, mudguards, rear carrier and lugs for a front set, full lighting set, decent set of gears and of cause a very comfortable upright cycling position. The bikes were bought for use here and for long distance European cycle paths. We had used European style hire bikes before on cycle tours and found them so good that we bought our own.

What we wanted from a bike was chain guard, mudguards, rear carrier and lugs for a front set, full lighting set, decent set of gears and of cause a very comfortable upright cycling position. The bikes were bought for use here and for long distance European cycle paths. We had used European style hire bikes before on cycle tours and found them so god that we bought our own.

Yes, they are incredibly comfy compared to the more sporty bikes that are the norm here. There is a reason that my 94 year old neighbour still cycled 3 kilometres to the shops every day and could frequently be seen lugging 10KG dog food bags on his package carrier!

I should just try to get my hands on a so-called Dutch bike, which is the sort of bike I have ridden for decades in the Netherlands

This led to me having a look online to see if I could pick up a so-called Dutch Bike in Sheffield

I want in on this. :heyhey:

:hihi:

My winter bike has an 8 speed hub gear, is heavy and has no problem hauling me up to Walkley on a daily basis. You dont really need a huge number of gears, just low ones.

What I find really useful on it is the dutch lock (or nurses lock in UK speak). Very useful for a quick stop off if you've not got the main lock, especially if the bike is in view.

I keep telling myself I should use my bike to commute to work, as I have done in the past, but the 4am start is a bit much.

Yes, that geometry is what I need. I think it is mainly the fact that my current bike (as many bikes in the UK) has handlebars that are basically just one straight line (mountain-bikey), without folding in like the bike in your link. As I am quite handy around a bike I might simply try and change the handle-bars and see if that fixes the issue.

Still, there are some other factors: Dutch bikes tend to have an enclosed chain: No need to put your trousers in your socks. They come with a light system (dynamo, front and rear light). They come with an inbuilt lock and a stand so you can leave your bike somewhere without having to find a railing etc.

All those things might make it worth swapping my bike for a Dutch bike... I am giving it some serious thought at the moment, will see what happens.

If you just want to replace the bars

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=moustache+handlebars&safe=off&tbm=shop

There seem to be plenty available.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/alloy_comfort_trekking_bar_590mm_sil_ral-ID_9331?gclid=CjwKEAjwre6dBRC94d-Gma7g3wcSJACNatZeR7OMdoQGbWmbU64C2lmtpr6CVOvQpV5IERwBjSLfYhoCs1nw_wcB

Two different styles there.

If you just want the whole bike

http://www.southwatercycles.com/m1b15s1014p1398/PASHLEY_Princess_Sovereign_Bike_5_Speed_2014/RS_GB/3630

That sort of thing seems to fit the criteria (an English Town and Country bike apparently).

My bike's got around ten gears, seven of them huddled around the back wheel and three around where your jeans go ... you can (by careful, manipulative dexterity) mix these together by means of wires and levers to achieve an astonishing twenty one! :o

However, the great big cog at the front is totally useless as it has a habit of ripping the bottom of your jeans to shreds and covering your shoes and socks in (unwanted) oil ... I find it more useful to use it as a kind of chain guard for the other two, and thus saving on expensive trouser repair bills.

Fourteen gears is still far too many in my expert opinion ... two is all you need ... one for uphill and one for on the flat. Downhill is totally unnecessary due to not having to pedal.

So far as I can understand, the only difference between a Dutch bicycle and an English one is that the handlebars may be mounted on the other side (due to the continental's penchant for using the wrong side of he road), and the fact that the puncture repair kit in the saddle-bag may be heavy duty enough for the plugging of leaks in dams. It may also have a small vase (rather like the VW Beetle) mounted on the aforementioned handlebars to facilitate the displaying of a daffodil, or other such Arctic plant life.

I would therefore suggest that any English bicycle could fairly simply be converted into a Dutch one with virtually no effort ... unless I'm missing out on something here? :)

Archived