"Dutch bikes" in Sheffield

I love the Princess bike, very aptly named ;) It does appear there are options to buy a Dutch bike for a reasonable price in the UK which is good!

So far as I can understand, the only difference between a Dutch bicycle and an English one is that the handlebars may be mounted on the other side (due to the continental's penchant for using the wrong side of he road), and the fact that the puncture repair kit in the saddle-bag may be heavy duty enough for the plugging of leaks in dams. It may also have a small vase (rather like the VW Beetle) mounted on the aforementioned handlebars to facilitate the displaying of a daffodil, or other such Arctic plant life.

I would therefore suggest that any English bicycle could fairly simply be converted into a Dutch one with virtually no effort ... unless I'm missing out on something here? :)

You are slightly missing out on something :) The frame is actually angled differently as well (less sloped). I had a look at options and it is more difficult to convert my existing bike than I thought it would be.

I'm not sure, but don't dutch style bikes have different tyre sizes (something like 28"). Best check that tyres are readily available at decent prices.

Can't you just fit a more upright stem and some rounded bars to your current bike?

Not dutch style, but if anyone is wanting a comfortable 'non mountain bike' bike, then the bikes you can get through Sheffield Cycle Boost are very comfortable and sturdy and very practical for everyday use.

I don't work for them, but know the people who run it and it's a fantastic scheme. You sign up, then borrow a bike for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks you can give the bike back, or choose to buy it for £100 (heavily discounted price). I know people who've gone through this scheme and stayed in touch with other people they met, and now they all go out riding together :-)

http://sheffieldcycleboost.org/bike-loans/

You are slightly missing out on something :) The frame is actually angled differently as well (less sloped). I had a look at options and it is more difficult to convert my existing bike than I thought it would be.

A quick shunt up the backside by a Sheffield bus should convert the angle to a more upright position pretty easily. :thumbsup::)

Archived