Anyone remember Silverstones on Campo Lane, DIY store

:) There is one pic in PICTURE SHEFFIELD TAKEN IN 1940 OF Silverstones.

Not all the small hardware shops have been lost to the likes of BQ, here in Dronfield there is a shop where you can get most smaller hardware thing at a reasonable price and he will sell loose screws etc in any quantity not bubble wrapped, as the saying goes use it or lose it. example I purchased the other day 20ft of grey 3 core cable 36 clips plus a light switch and box for £4.70,:thumbsup: notice the feet measurement, stuff metrication!!!

Yep I remember Silverstones, the only place the DIYer could go in those days.

Bought balsa wood there as a kid to make boats with. All tried and tested in Roewoods on one of the seven ponds.

How about starting a directory of all the proper old Ironmongers type shops in the Sheffield area. The ones where you could still source a tin bath.

Hutch mentions the one in Dronfield and that is one of the best still around.

That is called Steels and is on Chesterfield road near Callywhite lane/ Green lane jnc.

There is another in Eckington village centre but do not know the name of that one.

I think Jennings is still at the bottom of Staniforth rd, Attercliffe end.

I love the feet and inches Hutch, what about pounds and ounces.

:) There is one pic in PICTURE SHEFFIELD TAKEN IN 1940 OF Silverstones.

Not all the small hardware shops have been lost to the likes of BQ, here in Dronfield there is a shop where you can get most smaller hardware thing at a reasonable price and he will sell loose screws etc in any quantity not bubble wrapped, as the saying goes use it or lose it. example I purchased the other day 20ft of grey 3 core cable 36 clips plus a light switch and box for £4.70,:thumbsup: notice the feet measurement, stuff metrication!!!

Hi Hutch,

On visits to UK (and of course, Dronfield), I always stop to look in Steele's window when I'm out for my daily run, to see what's new. It certainly is a well stocked shop.

SILVERSTONES.

I was a saturday lad around 1976-1977 at the campo lane shop.

I remember:

albert the woodcutter,

mabel, christine, barbara- shop assistants,

paul, gary(curly haired one, not the later obnoxious one)

alan haynes who also worked at the rotherham shop (I never did find out where the rotherham shop was)

the delivery driver- whose name escapes me, as does the name of another saturday lad who was contempory - doing his a-levels at the time.

then there was john the manager and Mr. alan himself(silverstone).

I wonder what has happened to all these people?

• 5 years later...

Hi to everyone who has posted stories of Silverstones on Campo Lane.

I used to help my grandfather in the shop when I was a kid.

Although I lived in London I always looked forward to holidays in Sheffield when I would help out in the shop sometimes carrying timber around or helping out at the till.

Cheers David Berg

• 2 weeks later...
SILVERSTONES.

I was a saturday lad around 1976-1977 at the campo lane shop.

I remember:

albert the woodcutter,

mabel, christine, barbara- shop assistants,

paul, gary(curly haired one, not the later obnoxious one)

alan haynes who also worked at the rotherham shop (I never did find out where the rotherham shop was)

the delivery driver- whose name escapes me, as does the name of another saturday lad who was contempory - doing his a-levels at the time.

then there was john the manager and Mr. alan himself(silverstone).

I wonder what has happened to all these people?

Hi to everyone who has posted stories of Silverstones on Campo Lane.

I used to help my Grandfather in the shop when I was a kid.

Although I lived in London I always looked forward to holidays in Sheffield when I Would Help Grandpa Nathan in the shop sometimes carrying timbetr around or helping out at the till

cheers David Berg

Archived