Can you learn to love somebody?

Love is a feeling. You cant learn feelings. You can learn to accept someone, get used to them, come to rely on or be relied on, respect, admire but you cant learn love.

So true.

Love happens...it can't be arranged or forced.

Love is a feeling. You cant learn feelings. You can learn to accept someone, get used to them, come to rely on or be relied on, respect, admire but you cant learn love.

If you take the opposite, hate ( a feeling) how is it that you get that "feeling? How do we acquire feelings? We love then we hate, what is it that precipitates the transformation from one to another? A series of experiences? What are experiences?

Learn as in going to school and being taught how to love I would say is ridiculous, but learning through natural experiences, being together, having respect etc is all a process.

Love is an interesting and philosophical concept, and I would think it has no set prerequisites or values as its probably one of the most personal of all sentiments on an individual basis.

---------- Post added 09-07-2014 at 02:58 ----------

So true.

Love happens...it can't be arranged or forced.

I would agree it can't be forced, love also can't be arranged but you can arrange an environment where it can flourish, like blind dates or dating sites etc. Love doesn't just fall in your lap, lust certainly does but that's another story.

Love doesn't just happen, it happens like everything else, for a reason through circumstances..

I'm thinking in terms of, arranged marriages. This is normal practice in some countries, but could we do it in the West?

Doesn't physical attraction play some part in this?

Until recent times marriage was a method by which the rich families ensured inheritance.

Charles and Diana Windsor perhaps ?

To quote the song "Whats love got to do with it ?"

The many thousands of people who've found love through arranged marriages might disagree.

Some testimonies to back that up would be nice.

Can you link to some please?

Arranged marriages are nothing to do with love. They are to do with tradition, money, control. People are resilient though so its no surprise a few people in arranged marriages fall in love. A bit like the Stockholm syndrome,

I think you can learn to love. It starts off like, "yes, I enjoy spending time with you on occasion" and gradually increases, until it gets to the point where you can't bare to be apart from them. I think everyone has to learn to love, to an extent. This can apply to any relationship, not just arranged marriages. However - I do think there needs to be a physical attraction at the very least.

Archived