Limitations with sight being allowed to drive

Does anyone know thelaw on limitations of vision ?

I khad a stroke a few years ago and I would say I have a vision field of about 60 to 70% and had my licence took of me by the Dvla.

A person I knoww lost an eye some years ago eand he is allowed to dry.

Any answers

Does anyone know thelaw on limitations of vision ?

I khad a stroke a few years ago and I would say I have a vision field of about 60 to 70% and had my licence took of me by the Dvla.

Any answers

Try asking in General and take a look here https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

Was your licence taken away because of the vision issue, or the stroke? I'd imagine its down to your fitness and healthiness as well as eyesight.

Am intrigued with this as my husband also had a stroke a couple of months ago which left him with loss of peripheral vision from his right eye. He voluntarily gave up his driving licence as he considers that he would be a liability on the road. Whilst our G.P. gave a cursory nod at this decision, no-one has ever fully explained the situation to us. If his loss of vision is sufficient to stop him driving, should he be registered partially-sighted?

Good luck to anyone who feels they can drive with sight from only one eye, though I find it difficult to understand how they cope.

Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision – your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

Does that help??

Am intrigued with this as my husband also had a stroke a couple of months ago which left him with loss of peripheral vision from his right eye. He voluntarily gave up his driving licence as he considers that he would be a liability on the road. Whilst our G.P. gave a cursory nod at this decision, no-one has ever fully explained the situation to us. If his loss of vision is sufficient to stop him driving, should he be registered partially-sighted?

Good luck to anyone who feels they can drive with sight from only one eye, though I find it difficult to understand how they cope.

I only have sight in one eye, it's been like that since as long as i can remember.

I passed my driving test 7 years ago & have no problems whatsoever. I also wear glasses for my good eye.

I expect the difference may be that i have only ever had one eye so have learnt to cope with that limited peripheral vision & lack of ability to judge distance etc but i would bet it's a totally different story for someone who had both eyes to now only have one. I can't imagine what 3D vision looks like, if you try spending a day with an eye patch on you'll see what 2D vision looks like!

And rather oddly, i cannot drive in my prescription sunglasses as my ability to judge speed & distance goes out of the window. Bizarre.

My driving instructor tried to drive with his left eye closed to see what it was like & crashed his car into the kerb. Oops.

Was your licence taken away because of the vision issue, or the stroke? I'd imagine its down to your fitness and healthiness as well as eyesight.

Vision I had to go to an independent option for a test (left hand side and peripheral vision)

Two workmates of mine were involved in a dreadful accident about five years ago (December 2008 ) when one was killed, and the other maimed for life, when an 87 year old driver who was legally blind through cataracts and age-related macular degeneration ploughed into them on Abbey Lane.

This chap should never have been allowed on the road with sight so bad.

I'm not at all saying that your sight would put you in such a situation, asaw, but If I were you, I'd certainly take strong professional advice, from your consultant and othalmologist/ optician before considering going back behind the wheel.

I cannot legally drive because of medical conditions, and so have surrendered my driving license.

Archived