Do you talk to blind people?

Say you're walking along the pavement, and happen upon a blind person with a guide dog; waiting to cross the road (as are you, waiting to cross etc). He can probably hear you and sense someone is next to him; but do you say "hello"?

On the one hand, you want to say hello and ask if he's okay and needs any kind of help or information etc; but on the other hand, would he find such an enquiry to be patronising, questioning his independence, or even menacing? (i.e. is this person going to mug me or con me in some way).

They again, if you just stand next to him, waiting to cross the road, and don't say anything; he may find that threatening too!

You just can't win!...

What do you think, talk to blind people, or not?

I generally find that if you say something like "Morning, how are you sir/madam" then they know that you are willing to talk, and they can the say they are fine, talk about the weather etc, of they need or would like a little assistance then it's an opening for them to ask.

I've no idea if they find it intrusive or not, but I've not had ny complaints so far over the last few decades so fingers crossed I'm not unintentionally annoying them all the time!

That's another good point monkey69. You don't want to spook or distract their guide dog in anyway. Plus, they need to extra focus and concentration when crossing a road.

Also, I'm not sure you should even say "safe to cross now", as they need to be able to tell for themselves (or their dog does), when it is and is not safe to cross.

I wonder if blind people get lonely and feel isolated though, with everyone ignoring them all the time?

I would do the same as if I was stood next to a sighted person.

If there was a need or desire to speak I would, otherwise i'd just get on with my day.

Me too :thumbsup:

The only difference is if they asked for assistance I would happily oblige... if it was a sighted person I'd tell them to stuff it :D I am jesting of course.

No need to treat anyone differently, never forget your manners.

I would warn the person that i am there, even if they are with their guide dog, and explain that I am using a wheelchair, and that I don't want them to fall over me, explaining that I take up more room/ can't get out of the way as nimbly as an ambulant person would.

If I know the person, I would say "Hi Joe (or whoever) it's Plain! How are you?" (and probably make some in-joke with them, along the lines of "*mock sigh* Sorry, Joe, It's me, in the way, as always!" )

If I see a blind person at a crossing, I'll always offer to take them across the road - or at the bus stop I'll always let them know which bus is arriving.

I get the second one but not the first, a blind guy could have crossed a thousand roads in his time without help. Unless they're struggling there's no need to patronise them by assuming they can't do something they may have done thousands of times.

To me that's like asking a disabled, (or as I prefer, lessabled) if he needs help wheeling his wheelchair across the road.

Sometimes I'm laid there with an IV in my arm and someone comes along and opens my biscuits and I'm thinking 'Well I can do it one handed', course like the blind man I usually just politely accept their unneeded 'help'.

I get the second one but not the first, a blind guy could have crossed a thousand roads in his time without help. Unless they're struggling there's no need to patronise them by assuming they can't do something they may have done thousands of times.

To me that's like asking a disabled, (or as I prefer, lessabled) if he needs help wheeling his wheelchair across the road.

Sometimes I'm laid there with an IV in my arm and someone comes along and opens my biscuits and I'm thinking 'Well I can do it one handed', course like the blind man I usually just politely accept their unneeded 'help'.

I suppose if the boot was on the other foot and someone offered to help me but I was managing, I'd feel able to say, "no thanks, I'm okay". I wouldn't think "what a patronising git, fancy someone having the cheek to offer to help out"!

Wouldn't you feel awful if you could've helped someone in that situation instead of them getting run over? Or would you feel comforted by the fact that at least you didn't patronise them?

Archived