Hospital Food Debate

Well, have been watching a few episodes on BBC 1 featuring James Martin and was wondering how old this series is and whether he actually managed to achieve lasting results in the end.

I think the fact we have this discussion is insulting to humanity, I mean there are high standards in schools and prisons for god sake yet the only places of health are left neglected and below par.

I think hospitals should be exemplary and a model that is admired, they should be well staffed and equipped, well paid and organised, there should be very little waste as well as budgeted and it should be a pleasure to stay in hospital knowing you are getting the optimal care going.

Instead on these programmes the staff are too run down, stressed, disorganised, managers are absent or without any common sense, no ordering systems meaning massive waste, more and more hospitals use chilled solutions instead of fresh food produced on site, the kitchens are run down and neglected, patients frequently say the food is a shambles, that staff have to work over their breaks and never get proper time alone to feed themselves, the whole mess is made even worse than ordering food from abroad because it is apparently cheaper than sourcing things locally and striking great trade deals, I mean most businesses would close with this way of working and is quite alarming for anyone needing to spend long durations on wards with their health and nutrition paramount yet the engine rooms and managements are failing at basic levels.

I've unfortunately just spend some time at the Hallamshire and have to admit the food was pretty terrible, however I could not fault the care I was given.

It did get me thinking though and I came to conclusion that if i had to choose between decent food and decent care then I would go with decent care every time.

I would like to see the food improved however if your only staying for short period then the food is really not that much off and issue, I do feel for long term patients though.

I've unfortunately just spend some time at the Hallamshire and have to admit the food was pretty terrible, however I could not fault the care I was given.

It did get me thinking though and I came to conclusion that if i had to choose between decent food and decent care then I would go with decent care every time.

I would like to see the food improved however if your only staying for short period then the food is really not that much off and issue, I do feel for long term patients though.

The food at the Hallamshire is fresh food prepared all in-house as opposed to the frozen pre-cooked type used at a lot of hospitals.

I agree that the food isn't great, but I've been told that it's a lot better at the RHH than it is at the NGH, which leads me to question how bad the food must be at the NGH!

My Grandad was in the NGH earlier this year for just over a week. We usually arrived just after he'd had his evening meal and I have to say none of it smelled or looked particularly appealing. The puddings were pre-made in plastic/foil pots and the juice was in plastic cartons that he struggled to open.

To be fair he ate most of it but then he was delusional from a serious infection so he probably didn't notice the smell or the taste! :hihi:

How about gravy served on boiled ham, which I was given some time ago?

I think there is a case for charging for meals, in some cases. For instance I was recently in NGH for a few days. I had no treatment, just needed monitoring as my prescribed tablets had caused a problem. There would have been no reason why I should not have paid for the food I had (which wasn't too bad this time)

My Grandad was in the NGH earlier this year for just over a week. We usually arrived just after he'd had his evening meal and I have to say none of it smelled or looked particularly appealing. The puddings were pre-made in plastic/foil pots and the juice was in plastic cartons that he struggled to open.

To be fair he ate most of it but then he was delusional from a serious infection so he probably didn't notice the smell or the taste! :hihi:

Hi Go Go this has made me wonder and think it depends on the ward you're on (could be wrong), I was in back in December when had defibrillator fitted and the food on the high dependency unit was great.

I also had to go in 2 years ago & the food was spot on, as I say don't know if dependent on wards.

Pete

Ffs, a hospital isn't a guest house or a hotel; this obsession people have with wanting/expecting top nosh during their hospital stay does my head in.

Why don't the moaners go private if they're so precious?!

Ffs, a hospital isn't a guest house or a hotel; this obsession people have with wanting/expecting top nosh during their hospital stay does my head in.

Why don't the moaners go private if they're so precious?!

I don't see any posters expecting top nosh. Just edible would be a start.

Archived