Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I live fairly close so will have a wander up tomorrow to have a look. If it's as bad as people are saying (no reason to doubt anyone) then I shall be writing to my local councillors (Graves Park Ward) asking for an explanation.

The councillors hold a surgery in Woodseats library the third Wednesday in the month (so next Wednesday is the next one) between 5.30pm and 6.30pm if anyone wishes to ask in person.

Graves Park Ward councillors:

Ian Auckland - ian.auckland@sheffield.gov.uk

Denise Reaney - denise.reaney@sheffield.gov.uk

Steve Ayris - steve.ayris@sheffield.gov.uk

Could not a few people film the council dumping up there, post it on youtube and put the links here? I would imagine such videos could easily go viral, which would probably lead to an end to the dumping and, hopefully, legal action against those responsible.

Well it has certainly been done before.

I'll take an amble up there to see what it looks like and to see whether it can be seen or smelt from the park proper as I thought the nursery site was fairly well sheilded from the park. However I wont be worried about wandering in to the nursery site itself and then will attempt firstly to contact the officer in charge of Graves park who is part of the parks and countryside team so based in Meersbrook park. I'm on first name terms with one of the local councillors as well so will ask them to look into what is going on as well once I've ascertained the situation.

I have seen a response to the complaints from a Councillor Isobel Bowler who admits the council is dumping at the site. She also admits that dog faeces from the red bins in Sheffield parks is part of the what is being dumped. She then goes on to explain that dog faeces is not hazardous waste. Well that should come as news to all the health experts who have reported on the dangers and diseases that it spreads.

Perhaps someone should pop round to see Councillor Bowler and ask if she would be prepared to have a few tons of the stuff left on her back garden.

I have seen a response to the complaints from a Councillor Isobel Bowler who admits the council is dumping at the site. She also admits that dog faeces from the red bins in Sheffield parks is part of the what is being dumped. She then goes on to explain that dog faeces is not hazardous waste. Well that should come as news to all the health experts who have reported on the dangers and diseases that it spreads.

Perhaps someone should pop round to see Councillor Bowler and ask if she would be prepared to have a few tons of the stuff left on her back garden.

Then why are dog poop bins provided by the council ?