Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I have some holiday snaps from May, will those do?

If they're good photos then I'll consider them. :P

---------- Post added 15-07-2014 at 12:49 ----------

Anyone know why, so far, apart from Radio Sheffield, neither the Star or local TV have run anything on this ?

Have they been sent the photos that were just posted above?

And a google maps link to show the location?

I wonder as well whether I am the only person who has bothered to contact the local councillor to try and get some clarification on the situation? The response seems to be they are aware that a lot more rubbish than they would of liked has accumulated and although the site has been used as a temporary storage area for a long time the pens constructed are not up to the amount that has built up because of the time of year and the lorry with the grab arm has needed repairs. However with the installation of two large skips this will if nothing else tidy the area up . As this has now been volunteered to me I'm quite prepared to leave it for a few days before taking a wander up there to check on progress. I managed to find out a few things with a minimum of effort and so am slightly suprised that the friends of the park aren't persueing a similar tack and then giving their members an accurate update on the state of play.

I wonder as well whether I am the only person who has bothered to contact the local councillor to try and get some clarification on the situation? The response seems to be they are aware that a lot more rubbish than they would of liked has accumulated and although the site has been used as a temporary storage area for a long time the pens constructed are not up to the amount that has built up because of the time of year and the lorry with the grab arm has needed repairs. However with the installation of two large skips this will if nothing else tidy the area up . As this has now been volunteered to me I'm quite prepared to leave it for a few days before taking a wander up there to check on progress. I managed to find out a few things with a minimum of effort and so am slightly suprised that the friends of the park aren't persueing a similar tack and then giving their members an accurate update on the state of play.

I asked my local councillor, Jack Scott, on Twitter, no reply yet.

I asked my local councillor, Jack Scott, on Twitter, no reply yet.

See post #141. He has either been misinformed, or is lying through his back teeth. Never did like him, threw a massive strop when I came out of a polling station a few years ago, he asked me who I voted for and said Party X (not Labour). He flounced off without a word a reply into a waiting car :loopy::loopy:

So it is an official policy to store this waste next to a popular green space? (is the park and SSSI or anything)?

I imagine it is because Friends of Graves Park are pretty used to this sort of thing and well able to keep their membership updated with the facts rather than that load of hogwash.

---------- Post added 15-07-2014 at 14:31 ----------

So it is an official policy to store this waste next to a popular green space? (is the park and SSSI or anything)?

Funily enough 15 years ago a similar thing happened. The council were fly tipping in Graves Park. They tried to deny it until this photo went on the front page of The Star. They then tied to claim that Norton Nursery wasn't part of the Graves Park Charity and attempted to sell it for housing. The Charity Commission had other ideas and threatened legal action.

The City solicitor wrote a letter to the commission accepting that this land was indeed part of Graves Park and that the land had been wrongly developed as a depot.

The Charity Commission ordered the council to restore the area to parkland. So far around 50% of the land has been cleared, pollution removed and trees planted.

A few years ago the council again attempted to take this land from the Graves Park Charity and allow St Lukes to build on it. Once again the Charity Commission ruled that this was a missuse of the land that belonged to the Graves Park Charity. Once more the council was forced into another expensive climb down.

So once again we find the very same plot of land being missused and the same claims that the land isn't part of Graves Park. How long will it take before the Charity Commission once more remind them that it is?

Edited by barpen

I suppose the rubbish that the park users generate has to go somewhere and when I think about it there used to be an area of woodland that had a lot of green waste collected there and then over by the football pitches near Cobnar cottage there was a couple of skips and usually a pile of rubbish with everything from road cones to broken park benches in evidence. This was right next to the main path and in the summer was not the most attractive of smells. These two sites are nowadays clear and so I'd imagine they've been moved to their present location which obviously is better but needs some better way of storing it temporarily

In reference to my previous post I was merely reporting what I had been told so if it turns out to be a load of hogwash then I'll be on the case although after having looked at the Facebook page of the friends of Graves park I didn't notice much in the way of answers being asked from the council

Edited by WallBuilder

I suppose the rubbish that the park users generate has to go somewhere and when I think about it there used to be an area of woodland that had a lot of green waste collected there and then over by the football pitches near Cobnar cottage there was a couple of skips and usually a pile of rubbish with everything from road cones to broken park benches in evidence. This was right next to the main path and in the summer was not the most attractive of smells. These two sites are nowadays clear and so I'd imagine they've been moved to their present location which obviously is better but needs some better way of storing it temporarily

In reference to my previous post I was merely reporting what I had been told so if it turns out to be a load of hogwash then I'll be on the case although after having looked at the Facebook page of the friends of Graves park I didn't notice much in the way of answers being asked from the council

You are right the rubbish that a park generates has to go somewhere. That place is called the incinerator.

There is no problem with the grass mowings from the cricket pitch or a bit of shreded timber being stored in a corner of any park. But the contents of the dog muck bins, and the park waste bins should go straight to the incinerator, or are you suggesting that it would be OK for all your street's wheelie bins to be emptied into a huge heap of bin bags at the end of your road until there was enough to fill a truck and be carted away?