Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

You'd be guessing wrong.

Not that I have ever needed to own a working dog and I really don't see the point in any kind. I guess some people just like to think they are in control of something living, not that very high percentage of people can actually properly control or train a dog.

I said flush it...thats what toilets are for ... excrement.

I also said after you have cleaned it up from your own garden instead of risking giving other peoples' kids salmonellosis or toxocariasis.

Please don't quote my posts if you have not read them or lack the ability to assimilate the content.

I wonder what part of the country it is that you live in, most people have wheelie bins these days, and why would feces in the bin be a surprise; there are over 10,000,000 disposable nappys discarded daily.

Don't tell sheffield council though or they will probably be collecting and storing those in Graves park too.

Well judging by the stench in that area of Graves Park I think they already do !

Come on Sheffield City Council - pull your finger out and rectify this disgrace in Graves Park - it's becoming a serious risk to the health of anyone who wants to spend time there.

Please tell the “council” where to send the cheque.

I do like to see some honesty and transparency in people’s posts, that’s why I have been rattling some people cages to get a response and a little truth.

I have never worked for the “council” I lost interest in local politics over 40 years ago, I am happily retired but I do know a little about “friends groups” I was a founder member of one and know the kind of people that people that join. There are a few that have a real interest in trying to help but you don’t normally get the people who go to parks to kick a ball about, have picnics with the kids, visit the petting park etc. you get the people whose houses impinge on the area and have a vested interest in “their part” of the area covered.

But that’s just me talking about my experiences.

The last time I had an update Friends of Graves Park had a membership of over 600. Most are park users which is hardly the same as folk living close by or having a vested interest. That is unless you call having a vested interest wanting to preserve the park for future generations and prevent the council abusing it and selling off chunks for development.

There are many members who worked for the park's department and have volunteered to clear litter and help restore areas that the council have abused. There are several school children who do just that.

There are also a number of members who no longer live in Sheffield and others who don't even live in the UK. Without these people Graves Park would by now be considerably smaller, have rather less equipment in the playgrounds, and have rather poorer enclosures in the rare breeds centre.

The last time I had an update Friends of Graves Park had a membership of over 600. Most are park users which is hardly the same as folk living close by or having a vested interest. That is unless you call having a vested interest wanting to preserve the park for future generations and prevent the council abusing it and selling off chunks for development.

There are many members who worked for the park's department and have volunteered to clear litter and help restore areas that the council have abused. There are several school children who do just that.

There are also a number of members who no longer live in Sheffield and others who don't even live in the UK. Without these people Graves Park would by now be considerably smaller, have rather less equipment in the playgrounds, and have rather poorer enclosures in the rare breeds centre.

Honesty is what I was asking for, I am claiming this thread was started by the "Friends of Norton Park View" who would benefit more than the general public if they got what they demanded.

Honesty is what I was asking for, I am claiming this thread was started by the "Friends of Norton Park View" who would benefit more than the general public if they got what they demanded.

What an interesting claim. Why would anyone benefit, if as you claim the tip isn't a blot on the landscape that stinks to high heaven?

What an interesting claim. Why would anyone benefit, if as you claim the tip isn't a blot on the landscape that stinks to high heaven?

Your quote taken from http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10587879&postcount=212

"But all this begs the question that has been asked many times over the past 15 years. The council still occupies these 3 1/2 acres of Graves Park where it stores a couple of tractors for use in the park. 90% of the land is not used and just leads to missuse. So why not stick the tractors up in the area of the park fenced off for animal farm fodder?. Get rid of the dump which has no place in the park and allow the remaining 3 1/4 acres to be restored to parkland, which is what was agreed 15 years ago?"

As I said before it is all about ownership and removing the "council" from "your" back garden. As far as I can discover the 3.25 acres has never been parkland so how can it be restored? It had been a nursery ever since the council paid compensation to a Mr Harry Widdoson in 1940 who ran a market garden there.

I am not very good at hard sums so I may be wrong but the 3.25 acres works out at about 1.52% of the park, my bank charges me 2.95% for using my credit card overseas, unfortunately for you that 1.52% is adjacent to Norton Park View. (Or is it 3.5 acres? In that case it will about 1.6%)

You tell us that 15 years ago the "council" agreed to reinstate the land, since then there have been numerous changes in control of the "council".

15 years ago the Liberals had control.

1999: Peter Moore (Liberal Democrat)

2002: Jan Wilson (Labour)

2008: Paul Scriven (Liberal Democrat)

2011: Julie Dore (Labour)

Your chosen party has been in charge for quite a bit of that time.

When the residents bought their “investments” they must have been aware of what was at the bottom of the garden, there never have been fairies there.

A question I have been asking and never had a real answer, who will pay to improve the back garden view and improve the value of the property for the residents of Norton Park View?

Taken from a statement from the “council”

“Sheffield City Council Budget 2013 / 14

Parks

The Council hopes to make £1 million of savings over the next 3 years. Sheffield is proud of its parks and green spaces. We know that parks are important for everyone’s happiness and health, they keep our city green and make Sheffield a great place to live.

The Council will find new ways to look after parks and green spaces so that children and adults can keep using them.

All of the bowling greens will stay open. But bowling clubs will look after their own bowling greens using a grant from the Council plus money that they get from people who play bowls. This will save £100 thousand.

The ranger service will carry on looking after parks and green spaces but some of the activities they run will need to stop.

Allotment rents will go up.

Some public toilets will close.

The council team that works on making parks better will be smaller.”

Where is the money coming from for your demands?

All this is happening when many of the libraries in Sheffield are closing with many of the long term staff losing their jobs.

We are both on the same side when it comes to parks and other services in Sheffield but I think there are better way to spend the limited resources rather than protecting the investments of the residents of property backing onto Graves Park

Remember, we are all in this together.

The Friends of Graves Park have already helped to restore part of the park next to the Norton Nurseries site, it's now a pleasent area & has cost the council very little. The council only seem to be using the nurseries to dump rubbish now, although it was once used to grow plants for the parks. Why not hand it over to the Friends & let them do the work to turn it into parkland, after clearing up the worst of the mess that they've dumped there.

Edited by anywebsite

Your quote taken from http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10587879&postcount=212

"But all this begs the question that has been asked many times over the past 15 years. The council still occupies these 3 1/2 acres of Graves Park where it stores a couple of tractors for use in the park. 90% of the land is not used and just leads to missuse. So why not stick the tractors up in the area of the park fenced off for animal farm fodder?. Get rid of the dump which has no place in the park and allow the remaining 3 1/4 acres to be restored to parkland, which is what was agreed 15 years ago?"

As I said before it is all about ownership and removing the "council" from "your" back garden. As far as I can discover the 3.25 acres has never been parkland so how can it be restored? It had been a nursery ever since the council paid compensation to a Mr Harry Widdoson in 1940 who ran a market garden there.

I am not very good at hard sums so I may be wrong but the 3.25 acres works out at about 1.52% of the park, my bank charges me 2.95% for using my credit card overseas, unfortunately for you that 1.52% is adjacent to Norton Park View. (Or is it 3.5 acres? In that case it will about 1.6%)

You tell us that 15 years ago the "council" agreed to reinstate the land, since then there have been numerous changes in control of the "council".

15 years ago the Liberals had control.

1999: Peter Moore (Liberal Democrat)

2002: Jan Wilson (Labour)

2008: Paul Scriven (Liberal Democrat)

2011: Julie Dore (Labour)

Your chosen party has been in charge for quite a bit of that time.

When the residents bought their “investments” they must have been aware of what was at the bottom of the garden, there never have been fairies there.

A question I have been asking and never had a real answer, who will pay to improve the back garden view and improve the value of the property for the residents of Norton Park View?

Taken from a statement from the “council”

“Sheffield City Council Budget 2013 / 14

Parks

The Council hopes to make £1 million of savings over the next 3 years. Sheffield is proud of its parks and green spaces. We know that parks are important for everyone’s happiness and health, they keep our city green and make Sheffield a great place to live.

The Council will find new ways to look after parks and green spaces so that children and adults can keep using them.

All of the bowling greens will stay open. But bowling clubs will look after their own bowling greens using a grant from the Council plus money that they get from people who play bowls. This will save £100 thousand.

The ranger service will carry on looking after parks and green spaces but some of the activities they run will need to stop.

Allotment rents will go up.

Some public toilets will close.

The council team that works on making parks better will be smaller.”

Where is the money coming from for your demands?

All this is happening when many of the libraries in Sheffield are closing with many of the long term staff losing their jobs.

We are both on the same side when it comes to parks and other services in Sheffield but I think there are better way to spend the limited resources rather than protecting the investments of the residents of property backing onto Graves Park

Remember, we are all in this together.

You do come across as someone with a grudge. Were you one of those who pushed to give bits of Graves Park to St Lukes, or to sell off bits as housing, and lost your job as a result of it.

If the council wants to save money they should stop hatching these illegal schemes to dispose of assetts belonging to the Graves Park Charity. If they stopped doing that they would have an awful lot more money and an awful lot more respect.

You do come across as someone with a grudge. Were you one of those who pushed to give bits of Graves Park to St Lukes, or to sell off bits as housing, and lost your job as a result of it.

If the council wants to save money they should stop hatching these illegal schemes to dispose of assetts belonging to the Graves Park Charity. If they stopped doing that they would have an awful lot more money and an awful lot more respect.

No grudge from me, and I never did work for the council as you would have known if you had read my comments. I am only trying to be the voice of reason, sorry if you don't like what I say.

No grudge from me, and I never did work for the council as you would have known if you had read my comments. I am only trying to be the voice of reason, sorry if you don't like what I say.

We love what you say. This thread would have died 3 weeks ago without a nutter like yourself. Like they say it takes 2 to tango. We just needed to find someone with nothing else to do. :thumbsup:

Well judging by the stench in that area of Graves Park I think they already do !

Come on Sheffield City Council - pull your finger out and rectify this disgrace in Graves Park - it's becoming a serious risk to the health of anyone who wants to spend time there.

Really?

A serious risk to the health of the majority of park users - like round the rare breeds centre, the cafe?