Treatment for Obesity on NHS

Have you seen the Loreal documentaries on TV where they prove that some cream will make your face firmer and more attractive?

Actually when it comes to advertising things, we have pretty struck laws, and any claim has to be backed up. So on the adverts that you highlight, they'll advertise that 'women claim that their faces feel firmer and more attractive', rather than our product will make your face firmer and more attractive.

Actually when it comes to advertising things, we have pretty struck laws, and any claim has to be backed up. So on the adverts that you highlight, they'll advertise that 'women claim that their faces feel firmer and more attractive', rather than our product will make your face firmer and more attractive.

Which of course, just like the jucing "documentary" is about as scientific and as credible as a ouija board....

7 out of 10 women agreed that it made their face feel firmer.

It doesn't matter how they word it really, it's not credible evidence, it's advertising.

Nevertheless, it does document the taking of a group of real individuals, with real obesity and/or chronic health issues, most taking large amounts of pharmacutical drugs daily to manage their symptoms; to an island where they do a medically supervised juice fast for one month.

Their results at the end are also real and documented, and include real weight loss, health gains and, in several instances, a reduction of pharmacutical drugs to zero.

And, the guy running it, is doing it for a living, and, I guess with results like these, it will be good for marketing :)

So what? Maybe more people will go into the business of helping the obese/chronically ill to overcome their issues- seems good to me.

Incidently Bonzo, did you watch the video? What did you think to the results?

It's a marketing video. It's not going to show negative results. It's like watching one of those time share videos.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 07:44 ----------

I don't think we have strict advertising laws at all. They get away with murder. Those Max Factor (or whatever) adverts that show eye lashes grow and expand with one swoop of the mascara brush, with tiny subtitles, in white so you can hardly see them saying, enhanced in post production. Coke adverts don't even advertise coke these days. Just a lifestyle. The rules aren't strict enough.

I don't think we have strict advertising laws at all. They get away with murder. Those Max Factor (or whatever) adverts that show eye lashes grow and expand with one swoop of the mascara brush, with tiny subtitles, in white so you can hardly see them saying, enhanced in post production. Coke adverts don't even advertise coke these days. Just a lifestyle. The rules aren't strict enough.

Everything that is claimed in an advert has to be provable, unlike a lot of other countries. It's one of the reasons that we don't have lots and lots of pharmaceutical companies advertising, they do not want to open themselves to the rigour of having to prove their claims.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 09:24 ----------

7 out of 10 women agreed that it made their face feel firmer.

It doesn't matter how they word it really, it's not credible evidence, it's advertising.

It's true it's not credible evidence, and that is my point.

There is no credible evidence that really expensive face creams work any better than the cheap moisturiser. So unlike other countries, in this country the cosmetic companies have to resort to transparent slight of hand advertising.

And 'advertising' on youtube by small companies/private individuals is barely regulated at all.

Which is the point I was making. An advertising video on the internet is not "barely credible" it's simply not credible, you may as well just assume that the entire thing is fabricated and you're less likely to lose money/time/health that way.

And 'advertising' on youtube by small companies/private individuals is barely regulated at all.

Which is the point I was making. An advertising video on the internet is not "barely credible" it's simply not credible, you may as well just assume that the entire thing is fabricated and you're less likely to lose money/time/health that way.

I would say that a lot of internet advertising isn't regulated at all, and that's one of the problems of the internet. The trouble is who has jurisdiction over it.

I haven't watched the video, before I do can you tell me what diet they fed the control group on the island. Cheers.

jb

There's no control group dude, it's not a scientific study :)

The group of obese and/or chronically ill individuals were on a diet of fresh raw fruit/veg juices for one month.

I would say that a lot of internet advertising isn't regulated at all, and that's one of the problems of the internet. The trouble is who has jurisdiction over it.

The ASA claims jurisdiction over advertising on a website that is registered in the UK (ie .co.uk and similar domains).

But on youtube, I doubt that anyone would take responsibility for regulating it.

Archived