Any pink floyd fans?

sark

For some incredible reason, Pink Floyd passed me by. I started getting into music in the very early 70's and looking back, I cannot fail to wonder how I missed them. Got into Queen, glam rock, punk etc (variety of musical tastes I know) but until Live 8 last year I had never heard anything by Floyd except Money and Another Brick In The Wall (Pt2) :confused:

I now have heard just about everything they have ever released (including Syd Barrett's solo stuff) and have read on-line articles and interviews until the early hours and still cannot get enough of them.

I'm even heading to see the Aussie Pink Floyd at the Sheffield Arena on 21st April with my 17 yr old son who, unknown to me, has been a PF fan for the last couple of years :cool:

just got into pink floyd during the last 6 months. brilliant group. anyone into them?

Although I had heard 'Wish You Were Here' many years ago, I too have only just started geting into "the Floyd".

Some of their stuff is just genius ... but not all.

I can't boast Longcol's pedigree as a Floyd fan, but I've been 'into' the band since the age of 13 in 1974, when I taped 'Dark Side' in its entirety from the radio. A young colleague of my father's in his early 20s very kindly taped me 'Atom Heart Mother', 'Meddle' and 'Ummagumma' and I was hooked. I now have every Floyd album on cd, including David Gilmour's pastoral new album, 'On an Island' which some critics have regarded as the follow-up to 1994's 'The Division Bell'.

My favourite Floyd material is from the earlier days, in particular the albums, 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Wish You Were Here', 'Meddle', 'Atom Heart Mother', 'Ummagumma', 'A Saucerful of Secrets' and 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. I prefer the naive experimentalism and the pastoral sides of Floyd, and cannot abide the angst-ridden, indulgent, semi-autobiographical 'The Wall' in which Waters whinges , whines and bleats interminably. Even worse is [described by Gilmour as 'cheap filler'] the Waters-dominated, 'The Final Cut'. Those two debacles aside, I like all Floyd's music to a lesser and greater degree.

I envy Longcol's experience of the Floyd in 1970, and also my friend Bernie for being present at the 1969 Manchester gig which was partly used for the A side of the double album, 'Ummagumma'. One hears of the band frying bacon on stage and other daft antics in those days. To me, and I imagine that it is the same for many people, there is something wonderfully, reassurringly 'English' about the sound of Gilmour's bended strings, Wright's keyboards , the slow, four-footed drumming of Mason and the vocal phrasing of Waters/Gilmour. To someone of my generation [40-something], Floyd are as resonantly 'English' as Elgar and Vaughan-Williams. Indeed, the band are a major cultural reference in any history of English popular music. They did more than any other British band to 'build bridges' between popular music and the avant garde. Arguably, they influenced more people than the other contenders for that title, Germany's Can and America's Velvet Underground.

Seeing Floyd playing DSOTM live on my birthday in 1972 has to be one of the big highlights of my life.

A pivotal point for Floyd IMHO.

The first half of the gig was DSOTM in its unpolished entirety - the second half the "old stuff" - eugene, set the controls for..., saucerful,....and portents of self satisfaction setting in - "Meddle" from the previous year had introduced both repetition "One of these days" = "Eugene" (without the brooding build up - more aimed at sixth formers for whom no track without a guitar solo could cut business) - and the "Gilmour plod" (see next paragraph).

But compared to the gig of two years previous (I'd prefer not to mention the Atom Heart Mother Gig of '71), Gilmour added many more plodding "spaced out" blues solos. Goodbye "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Astronomie Dominie", welcome "Echoes" and far worse yet to come.

When DSOTM was released I was hugely disappointed - too long in the studio (in terms of 30 odd years ago) no rough edges, and where the hell did the "Great Gig In The Sky" come from???

By then "hanging on in quite desperation in the English way" - my favourite fragment of a Floyd lyric - had moved on to Bowie, Roxy Music with their decadent optimism or, flashy twelve bar blues that led downhill from Wishbone Ash to Status Quo followed by the more childish exponents of heavy metal. (Led Zep cut a different path - another line to be followed up at some point).

But that's only one interpretation I have:cool:

Love to you all.

Archived