Bin collections possibly moving to 3 weeks

Fair enough, but that's putting further burden on us when we already pay for rubbish collection. :huh:

And what about people who have no car ?

You can push people only so far. :rant:

I know. Having six people in one household must be difficult

Do you have one of the extra large wheely bins ?

I know. Having six people in one household must be difficult

Do you have one of the extra large wheely bins ?

We don't no.

We can just about cope as it is, but this would be a move too far.

Don't get me wrong, littering is one of my pet hates, but what are people supposed to do if the service is further reduced ? this isn't my fault, but the blame will no doubt be moved onto the likes of myself.

We can just about cope as it is, but this would be a move too far.

No need to worry.

Two things the city council would never dare to impose are (1) reduce bin collections further and (2) impose a congestion charge in the city centre.

Both would backfire spectacularly.

Yep, I can vouch for that. My mum has a place in Spain and it's a fantastic service. They have large communal bins (like biffa bins) for each street and the residents take their waste out to the bin, whatever it is (general household waste goes in the bin and then larger waste; boxes, furniture etc goes aside the bin) and they come round daily. It's brill. Plus they pay so much less for their version of council tax, think it's called Suma fee from memory.

In which case they're emptying one or two large bins for say..100 residents in one fell swoop? rather than 100 individual collections over a large area. It would make sense that it's cheaper.

Here it's 2 weeks, or even less if you factor in blue bin collections which is every other week.

Going fortnightly was bad enough, but if it goes to three weeks and we can't cope then i'll fly tip the excess. I'm not putting my kids health at risk for anyone. :rant:

I always thought you were someone who appreciated and enjoyed the countryside. I am shocked that you think it would be acceptable to dump your rubbish there. Shocked. :rant:

So Spain needed a bail out because their council tax is kept low and their local authorities limit themsleves to necessary services instead of empire building?

To be fair, the reasons for a bail out are probably fairly complex, I admit. I haven't said the tax was low, just wasted. But the lack of tax take in Spain, in comparison to expenditure, is pretty well documented as a major contributor to it's crisis. The income tax in Spain makes up roughly 50% of the tax take. About half of this is a local portion given back to local government. So local government spending is relevant to the debate.

So...In 2011 tax revenues were actually high at 37% GDP similar to pre-crisis levels (despite what I understand was very poor service provision). Yet public spending soared by about 100 bn (10% GDP) more than income. And the crisis in Spain was much wider than the banks. The whole economy was bankrupt.

We certainly wouldn't struggle to have a 3 weekly bin collection tbh - what do folk put in their bins ?:confused:

I recycle everything I can but a 3 week collection our bin couldn't cope with unless they give me another bin which rather defeats the object.

I recycle everything I can but a 3 week collection our bin couldn't cope with unless they give me another bin which rather defeats the object.

How many live in your household - just as a matter of interest.

Archived