Bin collections possibly moving to 3 weeks

Why can't the council just pick up all the rubbish every week and do any sorting they want to do themselves? What is stopping them from doing this other than their own intransigence? Put it to a referendum and you know that is the service that most people would choose.

Because it would cost more. Would you pay more council tax, or accept cuts elsewhere e.g. more libraries closing to cover these costs?

---------- Post added 13-07-2014 at 09:35 ----------

I find it equally surprising that someone like you would put words in my mouth. Or at least twist what i've said Andy.

You said: "i'll fly tip the excess". No I admit you didn't say you'd fly tip it in the countryside, but where would you fly tip it? Graves Park? Page Hall?

With the amount that can be recycled, and with careful planning a monthly collection should be sufficient in terms of volume. The one thing missing in Sheffield is a food waste collection. Here, we get our food waste collected every week so smells in the black bins aren't a problem and I would be quite happy if they only collected "general" waste once a month.

Archived