Tommy Holland the butcher

Anyone remember Tommy, he owned his own butchers shop in Pitsmoor for years.

I knew him as a lad in the 60s and his Son Pete worked with him and eventually took over the shop when Tommy retired.

I remember I was frightened by them as they once took me in the back room and threatened me with sharp knives.

I was about 9 years old as I did the neigbours shopping at that time about 1968.

They did it for a laugh, and i was terrified and crying and was reluctant to go in the shop after that.

They would certainly be arrested for that today.

Tommy though was a nice bloke, he is no longer around neither is his wife who worked along side him but his Son is.

A little off topic but do you remember Green's butcher's shop at the top of Spital Street - across from Langley's green gorcers.

Old Mr. Green was still in the business when I was kid but eventually, his son Ken took over. Good people. Ken ran it until the whole area was redeveloped. don't know if Ken opened a shop anywhere else in the neibourhood.

do you know if any of tommys family are alive

Well Tommy and Elsie are both departed I'm affraid but I believe Pete there Son is around, I think he lives Gleadless way but I'm not sure.

Falls, sorry I don't remember Greens but I was up the other end of Pitsmoor so Spital Hill was very alien to me in the 60s.

I remember Marshalls on Verdon Street, they had one on Nottingham Street.

They also had one on Barnsley Rd, I think he still has that one.

Rodney sold the shop on Barnsley Rd. last year, I think he has retired now.

I remember Marshalls on Verdon Street, they had one on Nottingham Street.

They also had one on Barnsley Rd, I think he still has that one.

Rodney sold the shop on Barnsley Rd. last year, I think he has retired now.

Archived