Should disabled people receive compensation when their train is late?

Many disabled people in the UK will have paid national insurance and income tax at some point or another. (Some of them will still be contributing to these systems). So, in effect they have already paid for things like the concessionary disabled travel pass.

A train arrives late enough for fare paying passenger to claim compensation for the delayed service. Why can’t disabled people claim? Is this an element of discrimination?

This is an interesting question but there are limited circumstances in which they would be able to claim anyway. Northern Rail offer a 50% refund in rail vouchers if they delay you by more than an hour. One of the least generous schemes there is.

The practical problem is that as the disabled person hasn't bought a ticket, how would the compensation be calculated? And would a rail voucher actually be any use to them, i.e. are they likely to make a journey where their pass isn't accepted to actually make use of the voucher?

You are refunded on the basis of the value of the ticket you were issued with - So no they shouldnt...same as Staff Travel is free, so no refunds, whether First or Standard class.

Maybe it should be ticket price + extra compensation for wasted time or having to make other travel arrangements if the train is really late.

It can be as you say but around the Sheffield Manchester Leeds etc area very few trains are so infrequent as to be that late.

If it goes very wrong the TOCs can be quite generous if you dont mouth off at them...But people tend to do exactly that.

After a particualrly serious delay some years ago, I managed to get my parents a full refund, and the equivilant value of vouchers to do the same trip again - which is not bad at the cost of even advance purchase 1st class tickets ;)

This is an interesting question but there are limited circumstances in which they would be able to claim anyway. Northern Rail offer a 50% refund in rail vouchers if they delay you by more than an hour. One of the least generous schemes there is.

The practical problem is that as the disabled person hasn't bought a ticket, how would the compensation be calculated? And would a rail voucher actually be any use to them, i.e. are they likely to make a journey where their pass isn't accepted to actually make use of the voucher?

I acknowledge that claiming circumstances are somewhat limited for paying rail passengers. I do not perceive a problem with the calculation for a disabled person. Calculation would be whatever the ticket would have cost (if purchased). Compensation would simply be a cheque not a voucher (for the reasons you highlight).

To include disabled rail passengers in the system, new rules would obviously be written up. If such a decision was made (to compensate the disabled), then it would be quite reasonable to provide recompense (by way of payment) that could be utilised by the disabled person. Let us not lose sight of the fact the rail operators (just like the bus operators) are in receipt of remuneration from the local authority for allowing "free" travel.

Archived