How much has the clubbing 'scene' changed?

slimsid2000

Firstly let me using words like 'scene' in this context doesn't come naturally to me but as it is used quite a lot on here I will fit in for the sake of clarity.

Right my question to all you clubbers out there is this: how much has the Sheffield clubbing (and pre club bar) scene changed over the last 13 years or so.

I chose 13 years as I first went into a nightclub in 1993 and that year first encountered five new clubs; Roxy's, Cairo's, Issabella's, Josephine's and Kiki's. I went out quite a few time from 1993 to 1997 and the last club I went to was in 1997 (Uropa). Since then I have been to bars rather than clubs (especially Empire and Champs).

I'm not really sure that I fully understood the clubbing scene in 1993 but obviously time has now moved on and I know this is a fast moving and changing industry. I was just wondering what changes has there been in this time that other people have noticed?

Cheers

'93 was about the time the club scene changed dramatically.

Occassions (The Room) was first off the block with acid house (this club began before '93 in fact)

Then you had Love2be at the Music Factor (Bed). Probably the first BIG House night in the city along with the likes of Nimmo's (Niche), Trash (Sutra), acid house/early trance at Jive Turkey (City Hall), Rise at The Leadmill.

Then came the likes of Underground @ The Arches followed by the early Gatecrasher nights at the same venue.

Then came along Capitol (Plug) and various other nights.

Nowhere could touch Sheffield back in the mid 90's.

Gatecrasher then became HUGE with it's sister club Bed. Sheffield was the place to be.

The club scene started on a downward slide after 2000. Nights other than GC, Bed and Niche just didn't seem to be able to keep up then Bed closed and Gatecrasher went all commercial and we are basically left with what we have now.

Having said that, some of the smaller nights such as ThePinupClub, Hustle are helping to revive the scene and the recently extended Plug is an excellent venue with some good nights and bookings.

We hardly go to clubs anymore but from what i hear Sheffield is slowly getting back on track.

With all the late licenses, i basically think the bars are the ones cashing in at the moment.

Firstly let me using words like 'scene' in this context doesn't come naturally to me but as it is used quite a lot on here I will fit in for the sake of clarity.

Right my question to all you clubbers out there is this: how much has the Sheffield clubbing (and pre club bar) scene changed over the last 13 years or so.

I chose 13 years as I first went into a nightclub in 1993 and that year first encountered five new clubs; Roxy's, Cairo's, Issabella's, Josephine's and Kiki's. I went out quite a few time from 1993 to 1997 and the last club I went to was in 1997 (Uropa). Since then I have been to bars rather than clubs (especially Empire and Champs).

I'm not really sure that I fully understood the clubbing scene in 1993 but obviously time has now moved on and I know this is a fast moving and changing industry. I was just wondering what changes has there been in this time that other people have noticed?

Cheers

got to agree with you cairos, issabellas and josephine's were the bomb in the late 80s and 90s people came from all over the country, there was hardly any trouble and everyone dressed smart, jeans etc were a definate NO NO!!! its changed so much in so many ways, bring back the good old days i say!!. There maybe a cairos, issabellas and josephines reunion nite coming up watch this space mate!!!

I wouldn't go so far as to say there was never any trouble (I was once robbed in Roxy's and I never went back since which left a big hole in my social life at that time and I have still not recovered from it in some ways) or that dress is any gurantee of good behaviour (any lout with a bit of spare cash can but a new shirt from Top Man) but I do agree that there were some good times there too. ll these clubs had a fair share of good looking girls (which is why I went clubbing in the first place) and I don't think drugs were ever much present (unless I missed something).

For me clubs were something a bit different you dressed up a little they were nice exciting looking places and you didnt go every week but went for an occasion.

However now most are dirty dull and offer nothing special and now bars are open later the key reason many people visited them ie extra beer no longer applies so u might as well stay in a bar.

the only club i visit these days is the corp cause it is so different and the music and people who go are ace :)

Archived