How much has the clubbing 'scene' changed?

slimsid2000

A 'club' can be an abstract concept, something that transcends bricks and mortar. When things are looking down you can sure there'll be some special parties bubbling under somewhere. The death of the superclubs a few years ago came at the same time as Lights Down Low, Rough Disko, This Way Up (which was wicked on Saturday btw), Kabal et al. were just starting up. Scuba was a big loss (I miss it), as was Remedy, but then again Plug has had some awesome bookings so far. And its nice to have Phonetics back.

It's impossible to talk about a clubbing 'scene' as people enjoy themselves in many different ways: some treat a night out as a commodity and others like to feel as though they belong to a little society. For some the weekend is life.

The people who deride Sheffield nightlife seem to me to have not really bothered looking. It's worth remembering that Sheffield has been a pioneer many times in the past: Winston Hazel introducing Chicago House to the UK at Jive Turkey (take that you Shoom-mockneys), to the unparalleled success of the Tuesday Club, to the (small) national fame of LDL (ooh its so microclub innnit? said some Londoners...).

its all about the smaller clubs now, intimate spaces like ldl @ d n r, upstairs @ the earl has 'wall of ball all-stars', lescar even has that polish pre-op disco world-beat dj by the name of steffy rockin it sometimes:P

wish some of the small-club places would stop charging large-club prices at the bar though...

lescar even has that polish pre-op disco world-beat dj by the name of steffy rockin it sometimes:P

What, Sheffield's best-kept secret Stefan von Jazznuts (that was what the op was for, to infuse jazz into his nuts), DJ with 3 nipples? I've heard Plug have managed to book him after his tour of Chicago - a very astute booking I must say.

I miss layed at bed.. and headcharge at the arches.. and coalition at the casbah.. boo.. :(

I feel your pain. I cry.

I miss Jackhammer too. And bemoan the lack of decent electronic nights. For a city with a rich electronic heritage, Sheffield is woefully lacking in decent electronic nights.

I am no doubt showing my ignorance here but don't reall understand a lot of the replies (but thank people for taking the trouble to reply anyway). a lot of the responses seem to be about different club nights and different types of music in different clubs.

A few years ago i used to go to Roxy's and Cairo Jax on Friday and Saturday nights. i have no idea what type of music they played but I do remember something called 'party time'(?) at Roxy's where they played some songs i recognised and liked for about half an hour at about midnight. This was always accompanied by two girls in lycra cycling shorts (I think one was called Joanne) danicng on stage.

My real reason to go to these clubs was to try and meet a girl. I think that most other people were there for the same reason. (Correct me if I am wrong). Is it true that now the trend is more about music in clubs and DJ's etc and that there is less of a culture of people going to clubs for the reason i did or have I got it wrong again?

My real reason to go to these clubs was to try and meet a girl. I think that most other people were there for the same reason. (Correct me if I am wrong). Is it true that now the trend is more about music in clubs and DJ's etc and that there is less of a culture of people going to clubs for the reason i did or have I got it wrong again?

It depends i guess. I suppose it depends where you go.

Certain clubs seem to be aimed at the whole going-out-to-cop-off crowd ( i won't mention that big one near the top of fargate by name :hihi: ). other seem geared more towards people who love their music.

Archived