How much has the clubbing 'scene' changed?

slimsid2000

I get thwe impression that certain clubs are for music (Speed garage, R&B whatever) and others are for people who areb more intersted in going out to meet girls. Therefore the clubs that are aimed more at the 'music people' (if I may call you that) are not ones where a lonely man would go to meet a potential girlfriend.

Am I right or can some clubs be both for music enthusiasts and meeting girls? I would be very greatful if people could give me a list of the Sheffield clubs in each catagory either in this thread or by pm if you prefer.

No jokers please, this is important.

I get thwe impression that certain clubs are for music (Speed garage, R&B whatever) and others are for people who are more intersted in going out to meet girls.

That's unfortunate - non-music clubs will be full of guys looking for girls and...girls looking for girls. Poor guys.

As a 'music club' patron (read: boring nu-soul deep house jazz disco aficianado) I should fare much better: As a guy, I can seek out my (nu) soul mate in a girl who likes music (rather than other girls).

• 3 weeks later...
What, Sheffield's best-kept secret Stefan von Jazznuts (that was what the op was for, to infuse jazz into his nuts), DJ with 3 nipples? I've heard Plug have managed to book him after his tour of Chicago - a very astute booking I must say.

LOL ! Classic. I've no idea who this guy is, but this reply sounded so funny. :D I'm intrigued now to what music he does play.

I thought that there's always a particular type of music that makes it into the mainstream, and everyone always follow the 'hippiest' music at that time. I remember when I first found the joy of clubbing, it was the craze of dance music. Hacienda, Cream, Ministry of Sound. Ibiza clubbing. Foam parties. Drag queens. (Recently, I managed to go to Federation in Leeds for a trip down memory lane...ahh... :))

A little while back it was RnB music, and maybe it's wordly fusion-esque type now. God knows.

As others have said, clubbing is different to different people. I was always with the music crowd. We go to clubs to dance, and appreciate the music, than going to a 'meat joint' so to speak. Pulling places when I was a student, prob played cheesy pop. Switch on your radio, and you'd realise what music would be played in a cheesy poppy place.

If you want to meet people Slim, I'd suggest just going to a bar, where you can chat to a person. It's where most people go.

A few years ago i used to go to Roxy's and Cairo Jax on Friday and Saturday nights. i have no idea what type of music they played

Friday night was 80s night, and Saturday was an 70's night, I know as I DJ'd and promoted them both in the 90's before Cairos was taken over by Corporation in September 97. Awesome night they were...always packed with very friendly beautiful girls to the roof, it was a DJ's dream come true!!! Knocked the pants of other town retro nights at the time....no pun intended towards Hot Pants...

..I feel a sudden urge to bung some Donna Summer on the CD player right now...ooooooh!

Yes, the early to mid 90's the best SHeffield ever was for clubbing, it all went downhill shortly afterwards. We lost a lot of good clubs......

Totally have to agree with you mate. Occassions was the start for me back in the day. propper old skool grimey nights. Also the jam factory. but after Rise at the leadmill and maybe 1 or 2 other nights its gone to s**t!

Plug has picked it up a bit with decent live nights such as allice russel and putting the Phonetics kru on in the back room once a month.:thumbsup:

'93 was about the time the club scene changed dramatically.

Occassions (The Room) was first off the block with acid house (this club began before '93 in fact)

Then you had Love2be at the Music Factor (Bed). Probably the first BIG House night in the city along with the likes of Nimmo's (Niche), Trash (Sutra), acid house/early trance at Jive Turkey (City Hall), Rise at The Leadmill.

Then came the likes of Underground @ The Arches followed by the early Gatecrasher nights at the same venue.

Then came along Capitol (Plug) and various other nights.

Nowhere could touch Sheffield back in the mid 90's.

Gatecrasher then became HUGE with it's sister club Bed. Sheffield was the place to be.

The club scene started on a downward slide after 2000. Nights other than GC, Bed and Niche just didn't seem to be able to keep up then Bed closed and Gatecrasher went all commercial and we are basically left with what we have now.

Having said that, some of the smaller nights such as ThePinupClub, Hustle are helping to revive the scene and the recently extended Plug is an excellent venue with some good nights and bookings.

We hardly go to clubs anymore but from what i hear Sheffield is slowly getting back on track.

With all the late licenses, i basically think the bars are the ones cashing in at the moment.

Friday night was 80s night, and Saturday was an 70's night, I know as I DJ'd and promoted them both in the 90's before Cairos was taken over by Corporation in September 97. Awesome night they were...always packed with very friendly beautiful girls to the roof, it was a DJ's dream come true!!! Knocked the pants of other town retro nights at the time....no pun intended towards Hot Pants...

..I feel a sudden urge to bung some Donna Summer on the CD player right now...ooooooh!

Yes, the early to mid 90's the best SHeffield ever was for clubbing, it all went downhill shortly afterwards. We lost a lot of good clubs......

thats so true goldenfleece:(

Personally, I think the mid 80's thru to '93 was Dope!

Jive Turkey @ The City Hall - Winnie and Parrot, The Steamer @ Leadmill, it was so hot inside that water dripped from the ceilings, The Limit on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, and the countless Warehouse parties I frequented, before the Criminal Justice Act became law.

Happy days.....:)

A few years ago i used to go to Roxy's and Cairo Jax on Friday and Saturday nights. i have no idea what type of music they played but I do remember something called 'party time'(?) at Roxy's where they played some songs i recognised and liked for about half an hour at about midnight. This was always accompanied by two girls in lycra cycling shorts (I think one was called Joanne) danicng on stage.

My real reason to go to these clubs was to try and meet a girl. I think that most other people were there for the same reason. (Correct me if I am wrong). Is it true that now the trend is more about music in clubs and DJ's etc and that there is less of a culture of people going to clubs for the reason i did or have I got it wrong again?

Teehee how things have changed. Thankfully, gone are the days of lycra cycling shorts (Joanne, bless her heart, I hope she's burned them).

I have to say though, leadmill is the only place with dancers in sheff I've seen and I've only seen them on the weekend in there...?

Pulling is not the only reason to go clubbing. Some people actually to see a particular dj and will pay more for that reason. Also, lots of my friends have a partner and go clubbing without them, but that doesn't mean they want to pull...

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Insomniacz yet! Admittedly hard house did come and go quite quickly, but it was special in late 2000 and early 2001.

I went to one Insomniacz at Uropa, but they were always best at the old Corporation (now the job centre on Bank Street). Myself and my friends would usually go to either Jump at Area 51 or Room 101 at the Adelphi first, but some people went to bed on saturday nights, set their alarms for 3am and then went to "Somz". :D

Although I'm now retired from dance music (I retired in summer 2003), I still smile when I think of Insomniacz. Before then I'd come from a happy hardcore background (Helter Skelter, Hardcore Heaven, Slammin Vinyl etc), but I was still surprised at how insane and hedonistic Insomniacz was. :thumbsup:

its all about the smaller clubs now, intimate spaces like ldl @ d n r, upstairs @ the earl has 'wall of ball all-stars', lescar even has that polish pre-op disco world-beat dj by the name of steffy rockin it sometimes:P

wish some of the small-club places would stop charging large-club prices at the bar though...

We have to mate, costs to run places,even small venues are so damn expensive.......

Archived