Were you taught about Mary Queen of Scots being in Sheffield at School

I have no wish to be insulting but the standard of some of the contributions on this subject is unbelievably crass.

What is even more amazing is people write the most abject nonsense when via google and some basic research they could educate themselves and even possibly, add to the debate.

Thank you Alan for your most welcome post.

There have been some very unexpected responses to my original post, but each to his own, I say.

It was just my personal experience of school history that I wanted verifying or denying - which was basically that we had very little to do with British history until the advent of the Industrial Revolution and even then ordinary Sheffielders, we in the schoolroom and our ancestors, played very little part in that!

Thank you Alan for your most welcome post.

There have been some very unexpected responses to my original post, but each to his own, I say.

It was just my personal experience of school history that I wanted verifying or denying - which was basically that we had very little to do with British history until the advent of the Industrial Revolution and even then ordinary Sheffielders, we in the schoolroom and our ancestors, played very little part in that!

All part of Sheffield being very slow to blow it's own trumpet. Maybe with the proposed plans for Sheffield Castle there'll be an upsurge in local history. There's lots of it and very interesting it is.

Incidently, the Sheffield flood was the biggest natural disaster in Europe, but got barely a mention in Parliament, and even in Sheffield a lot of people know little about it. So this is a historical problem, (excuse the pun...)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My schooling was in the mid 60's - I had an interest in history, but at school it was so boring, railways, railways and railways! My gran had a love of history, and from her I heard about Mary and have always enjoyed reading about her ever since. I have always felt sorry for Mary, yes I think she was easily led and did not pick her freinds/lovers wisely, but I do have an attachment to her, she was an annointed queen and was put to death by her cousin, and she must have endured such hardship. No wonder she suffered with arthritis, being cooped up in those draughty castles and houses:confused::confused:

• 2 weeks later...
The trouble with " history " is that a lot of it is untrue. 9/11 is a prime example, the Robin Hood story is another. So unless there is concrete evidence I don't believe it. In the last 60 years there has been hardly anything printed or spoken by the Western media which we can take for granted as true, in fact most of it is blatant lies.

Nobody has ever believed that Robin Hood really existed, in the same way as King Arthur has always been a mythical figure. They are both as fictional as Lord of the Rings.

I'm not sure what you mean about 9/11 being untrue though, unless it's the falsehood that Saddam Hussein was responsible when the true culprit was Al Qaeda. It's ironic that Iraq was attacked, when the real guilty party was actually hiding in Pakistan. But then, it was all about the oil wasn't it.

However, to answer the original question, yes I remember being taught about Mary Queen of Scots being held in Sheffield Castle, as well as in Haddon Hall. It was part of the lesson about the Tudors, although the main emphasis was on the actual ruling monarchs. I understand that Sheffield Castle was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell during the civil war - and that the citizens of Sheffield enthusiastically recycled the castle stones so that it couldn't be re-built!

Edited by earthdragon