What do you do if..

£326 million is owed in rent arrears, and the figure is growing.

What do you do if you're 50+ and on minimum wage, and can't afford either rent or a mortgage?

I know a few people in this situation who seem to have little choice but to stop work and go on benefits so that housing benefit will at least afford them a roof over their heads.

Wrong, I know, but I really can't see a viable alternative. I fear when interest rates go up, the situation will become even worse, not just for those with mortgages, but I fear rents will also go up to cover the increase.

What's the answer?

What's the answer?

The answer is to drive down house prices and rent. This could be accomplished through a several pronged approach:

1) Massive increase in the number of houses being built

2) Abolishment of RTB

3) Regulation of the private housing market

4) Lower HB caps

5) Legal requirement for the provision of assured long term tenancies in the private housing market for a certain percentage of properties within any one landlords housing stock (say 33%)

6) Lower mortgage caps

jb

The answer is to drive down house prices and rent. This could be accomplished through a several pronged approach:

1) Massive increase in the number of houses being built

2) Abolishment of RTB

3) Regulation of the private housing market

4) Lower HB caps

5) Legal requirement for the provision of assured long term tenancies in the private housing market for a certain percentage of properties within any one landlords housing stock (say 33%)

6) Lower mortgage caps

jb

Wouldn't that just increase the demand for building land, building materials and builders, which in turn would increase the price of land, building materials and wages, it would also reduce the availability of land for growing food which will increase food prices and also contribute to increased flooding.

Great, is all your rent covered?

You started the thread, are you saying that you don't actually know anything about the topic?

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 12:56 ----------

Wouldn't that just increase the demand for building land, building materials and builders, which in turn would increase the price of land, building materials and wages, it would also reduce the availability of land for growing food which will increase food prices and also contribute to increased flooding.

You should look up the figures for how much land is actually built up, how much brown space is available for redevelopment and so on.

And an increase in the building trade would probably be good for employment, it might temporarily cause a spike in rates, but people would rapidly join the industry to take advantage and the price spike would flatten out.

Archived