Car problem, gearbox help?

Make model year

Audi=scrapyard

Do you mean the gear lever is jammed or it moves but won't select?

Have you tried with your foot on the brake pedal and the handbrake on?

A X reg Merc 2.5 petrol.

Yes, it's jammed. And yes andre.

I'm trying to get a car going. It's an auto that has been sat for about 6 months.

The engine runs ok, but I can't get it out of PARK. It's jammed.

Any ideas please?

Look in the manual there should be an emergency gearstick release button hidden somewhere to get it out of park.

On my 2003 Mercedes it was under the facia on the gear stick surround.

Have you tried turning the ignition key back one position then trying to move the selector to neutral. If this doesn't work then, like others have said, there should be a very small almost pin hole size release mechanism somewhere around the selector, just big enough to get a ball point pen into to release it. The cause of the jamming could be a fault on your brake light switch as this also operates the release on the selector. They're located at the top of the brake pedal and cost about £15. If the cars been stood for a while it may be stuck open.

From reading online it looks like Merc Auto's are absolutely terrible, they suffer from all kinds of stupid problems, electrical issues and poor build quality.

I can't find it! :hihi:

Is yours like this one??

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eurotec/2011-12-23_150814_unlock_shifter.png

---------- Post added 18-07-2014 at 12:10 ----------

or try this ?

If you have a late model c-class/clk and you can't shift it out of Park (P), try this... Open up the armrest/ storage compartment in the centre console, behind the gear shifter. Pull out the black liner thing at the front of the compartment. You should now see a hole in the front wall of the compartment where you just pulled the liner out. insert a suitably sized screw driver until you feel it stop on something inside the hole. Now, grab the gear lever and pull it out of park while at the same time pushing the screw driver against the thing that stopped it. This should activate the emergency release allowing you to drive the car but be warned, if you don't take the car to a garage to get the problem fixed then you will have to do this every time you want to drive the car.

Archived