Where is your God?

Chistopher Hitchen's (PBUH) had a good line about the relationship between anti-Semitic fascism and the Catholic church:

f you’re writing about the history of the 1930s and the rise of totalitarianism, you can take out the word ‘fascist’, if you want, for Italy, Portugal, Spain, Czechoslovakia and Austria and replace it with ‘extreme-right Catholic party’.

You can add Hitler was Austrian and that the homeland of Nazism was Bavaria, the most Catholic and right-wing German state.

In my opinion there are three possibilities

1 - There is no God

2 - There is a God, but it is neither all powerful or all knowing, hence all the pain and suffering in the world

3 - There is a God, that is all knowing and all powerful, yet stands by and lets thousands of children a day die from hunger or get abused.

If its option 2, then why worship a god that is impotent, or if its option 3 then this isn't a God that deserves worshiping.

In my opinion there are three possibilities

1 - There is no God

2 - There is a God, but it is neither all powerful or all knowing, hence all the pain and suffering in the world

3 - There is a God, that is all knowing and all powerful, yet stands by and lets thousands of children a day die from hunger or get abused.

If its option 2, then why worship a god that is impotent, or if its option 3 then this isn't a God that deserves worshiping.

How about this...

...If you believe in God then God exists.

If you don't believe in God...God does not exist!

I think you missed my point. :)

What is real for some is not so to others.

But that's where the argument with religion falls down:

There is no 'god'; there is A 'god'; there are multiple gods.

Regardless of an individual's 'reality' only one of these statements can be TRUE. By your theory of individual reality, that would mean there are multiple gods.

Certain religions would claim that there is only 1 god, but with multiple religions believing different things... it leaves room for only one of them to be right, or none at all.

So, whilst an individual will live in THEIR 'reality', it is not actual reality. If we went by your reckoning, we wouldn't be convicting religious murderers as they are living in their reality which means what they are doing is right.

But that's where the argument with religion falls down:

There is no 'god'; there is A 'god'; there are multiple gods.

Regardless of an individual's 'reality' only one of these statements can be TRUE. By your theory of individual reality, that would mean there are multiple gods.

Certain religions would claim that there is only 1 god, but with multiple religions believing different things... it leaves room for only one of them to be right, or none at all.

So, whilst an individual will live in THEIR 'reality', it is not actual reality. If we went by your reckoning, we wouldn't be convicting religious murderers as they are living in their reality which means what they are doing is right.

It is to them.

It is to them.

Yes, to THEM - not to to actual reality.

It's like the age old argument that's used about the wind:

'You can't SEE the wind, but you know it's there because you can feel it - that's like me with God. I feel God's presence' says a religious person.

However, I've never 'felt' God's presence, but I have felt the wind. It's not up for discussion - wind exists; we can all feel it, we can all see it's effects on what it does to the world - hurricanes, tornados etc. - and how wind is produced has been explained. It affects people in ALL parts of the world - every age, race, sex, class... EVERYONE. A person might believe, in their 'reality' that it doesn't exist, but that proves their reality is false and not a reality at all - it is either a lie or delusion.

God/gods either exist or they don't - forget an individual's 'reality'.

Archived