Where is your God?

They showed me Gods love by how they treated me and gave me a good life!

Countless non-religious and atheist parents love their children and give them a good life.

Are you sure you are not just giving your God the credit - instead of those who deserve it the most: your parents.

...yes mum and dad read the bible everyday , yes they went bible study and church , I chose to go along

Children are very receptive and pick on conversations their parents have. You being raised in a religious environment, you're bound to pick-up on conversations about God and religion - and you are likely to take on those beliefs.

Had you been raised by atheists parents, it's doubtful you'd be giving a God the credit for the love and support your parents gave you. Instead, you'd be giving the credit to those who really deserve it: your parents.

I'm not saying that a 3yr old can't make a choice.

You may have been asked who you want to go with, that's nothing like indoctrination.

With indoctrination a child isn't asked if they would like to believe if there is a god, they are told that there IS a god and that he made everything, he can see everything you do, he is everywhere, you must worship him, etc.

They are told this over and over, daily, for many years.

What I asked was would a 3yr old have the cognitive ability to even recognise there may be a choice (in such a

I grew up in a Christian family , I was never asked do you accept belief in God , I saw for myself God working and I wanted to know him so I simply asked God to show me himself , my faith is strong and nothing anyone can say will change that , I have total faith that what I know is true

Learn how to use quote tags, Teeny. It's not rocket science.

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 13:28 ----------

That's exactly what I am saying ! I didn't go to Sunday school until I was 7 but had been seeing God for years at that point and possibly before I was 3 , Nobody spent time telling me to accept Jesus as lord or you are going to hell etc but just being loved by the family who adopted me, My dad never ever said you have to believe or you have to do that to go to heaven , there was never any blackmail or pressure put on me , My faith came from experiencing Gods love for me through a loving family

How did/do you know it was god that you were seeing?

(6K+ posts and you can't use quote tags? :roll: )

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 13:57 ----------

The way I see it- atheists are really only looking for any excuse to eradicate any possibility of an Intelligent force behind this Universe- they want to be free of any worry that someone is up there, they want to be kings of their own castle- not questionable to anyone or anything.

(Then you should have gone to Specsavers!) The only thing that is common to all atheists is a lack of belief in god/God/gods. Please try to understand that. Perhaps your rant applies to some atheists, but certainly not all, and definitely not to me nor any other atheists that I have ever known!

They have been fed enough religious information (usually misquoted or misunderstood) to form an opinon of this 'God'.

Most atheists that I know know a lot more about the Wholely Babble than does the majority of its adherents. Reading the Babble verbatim, without clerical 'interpretations', is one of the surest ways to produce atheists.

Hence all the bickering/anti religious feel and so on. However, when in a 1-1 situation, and an open mind, you will be surprised how different some atheists are- and how quickly they are prepared to look in further...if they can put their arrogance away.

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 14:00 ----------

My mind isn't closed but I cannot say there isn't God as i know him in my life !

How do you know it's god? Perhaps it's the devil deceiving you.

The way I see it- atheists are really only looking for any excuse to eradicate any possibility of an Intelligent force behind this Universe- they want to be free of any worry that someone is up there, they want to be kings of their own castle- not questionable to anyone or anything.

Utter nonsense. I, for one, would be delighted to discover that there is a God. Being a mostly decent sort I wouldn't have to change my ways very much in order to cash in on that eternal life.

If you want proof god exists, ask yourself where a nice meaty bowl of lasagne comes from. It truly is the food of the gods and there's no way it could have been created by evolution alone. Therefore if lasagne exists then so must God.

So. Either god or evolution.

No other options?

The only foodstuff that could provide evidence of god is manna (...just up the hill from Intake! :D )

You're probably the first person in the world to suggest that evolution is the sauce of all 'creation'. Congratulations!

Do your knuckles hurt? (...from scraping on the floor as you walk upright. :P )

Countless non-religious and atheist parents love their children and give them a good life.

Are you sure you are not just giving your God the credit - instead of those who deserve it the most: your parents.

Children are very receptive and pick on conversations their parents have. You being raised in a religious environment, you're bound to pick-up on conversations about God and religion - and you are likely to take on those beliefs.

Had you been raised by atheists parents, it's doubtful you'd be giving a God the credit for the love and support your parents gave you. Instead, you'd be giving the credit to those who really deserve it: your parents.

My sister was raised by non believers ( different family ) , But she always believed in God and saw him too throughout her life ? She came to this decision long before we met each other or even knew about each other .

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 15:48 ----------

[/color]

How do you know it's god? Perhaps it's the devil deceiving you.

I really don't think so !

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 15:52 ----------

Yes they did a good job but they were doing what God had told them to do ! they were older parents than most peoples parents , they had wisdom in how they brought me up , I rarely remember any discussion about belief in God , Mum and Dad were good at sharing Gods love with strangers by offering meals but never bible bashed anyone , they were just warm loving people , who loved God

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 15:54 ----------

Learn how to use quote tags, Teeny. It's not rocket science.

I do my best sorry i am not up to your standards

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 13:28 ----------

How did/do you know it was god that you were seeing?

Children are simpler beings they accept what adults can't accept they are open to seeing God

My sister was raised by non believers ( different family ) , But she always believed in God and saw him too throughout her life ? She came to this decision long before we met each other or even knew about each other

Your sister isn't here to speak for herself. I doubt she would have always believed in a God. God concepts are something children are often introduced to; they are passed on from adults to children - and through cultural indoctrination.

Yes they did a good job but they were doing what God had told them to do !

And countless atheists, who have an absence of belief in a God, do a fantastic job at raising their children. They do that without a god telling them to.

I think giving credit to a god rather than your parents, diminishes your parents humanity and ability. It undervalues the love and stability they gave you.

Your sister isn't here to speak for herself. I doubt she would have always believed in a God. God concepts are something children are often introduced to; they are passed on from adults to children - and through cultural indoctrination.

And countless atheists, who have an absence of belief in a God, do a fantastic job at raising their children. They do that without a god telling them to.

I think giving credit to a god rather than your parents, diminishes your parents humanity and ability. It undervalues the love and stability they gave you.

Yes She is here!!!!

Hi I am related to Teeny, I can tell you that the words she has spoken about me are true , I grew up in family where God wasn't the center of family life. God was never mentioned. I went to a school where they didn't hold assemblies where God was talked about, From a young age I felt there was something missing in life. I started asking questions about the church down the road, my family just shrugged their shoulders, they didn't know what church was about, nether the less it became quite apparent to me that God was real ( I would be 4/5 at this point) I asked to go to church but mum and dad said they were too busy to take me but would see if I could be dropped off there. I was given by a cousin a child's bible, which as I read from an early age , I read with great interest, I asked God when I was small to help me know and understand him. when I was 10 I was shown a folder about my adoption which had pictures of my birth family, I was told I had an older sister, this was almost a shock to me so I asked God to help me find her as my family said she would be able to find us at 18 years old , well time moved forward and I was soon turning 18 and my sister had never made contact with us , I said to God ok I really want to share my 18th birthday with my sister please make this happen as the authorities say they can't do it . Two days before my 18th Birthday my family told that she had made contact with my birth family , that she was really keen to meet me. So I do see how God made this work for me.

I joined the forum today as I am looking for information while I am here on sabbatical from Kenya

From a young age I felt there was something missing in life.

Most people probably have feelings like that whether they believe in a god or not - especially when young.

I started asking questions about the church down the road, my family just shrugged their shoulders, they didn't know what church was about, nether the less it became quite apparent to me that God was real ( I would be 4/5 at this point)

I find it extremely unlikely that your family had no idea what a church was - or was for. None of my family are religious - but they all know what a church, mosque and temple are for.

I asked to go to church but mum and dad said they were too busy to take me but would see if I could be dropped off there. I was given by a cousin a child's bible, which as I read from an early age , I read with great interest, I asked God when I was small to help me know and understand him.

So your impressionable young mind accepted that God was real because of what you read in a book - a book that claims God is real.

I was told I had an older sister, this was almost a shock to me so I asked God to help me find her as my family said she would be able to find us at 18 years old , well time moved forward and I was soon turning 18 and my sister had never made contact with us

Before you turned 18, you asked God to help you find your sister. And nothing happened.

I said to God ok I really want to share my 18th birthday with my sister please make this happen as the authorities say they can't do it. Two days before my 18th Birthday my family told that she had made contact with my birth family , that she was really keen to meet me.

Your elder sister was looking for you. She found you. You didn't find her - your original plea to your God failed.

So I do see how God made this work for me.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. It seems your sister was actively looking for you - and would have found you regardless of your pleas to an imaginary power. You could have made the same plea to a rock or a cup of tea - or made no plea at all - and got the same result.

And don't you think it's a really selfish view to take: your god helped you, or your sister, find a family member while countless people who believe in god, just as much as you, suffer in agony, pleading with their god to ease their pain, etc - and nothing happens.

It sounds like another "god helped me find my car keys" while ignoring the millions who really need help. Sad really. Doesn't say much about your God too.

Most people probably have feelings like that whether they believe in a god or not - especially when young.

My sister felt there was more to life than what she had , she knew nothing of faith

I find it extremely unlikely that your family had no idea what a church was - or was for. None of my family are religious - but they all know what a church, mosque and temple are for.

The family weren't interested in church as it didn't offer them anything they wanted or were looking for they felt complete

So your impressionable young mind accepted that God was real because of what you read in a book - a book that claims God is real.

The God of the book spoke directly to her heart and enabled her to get to know him and have a relationship with him

Before you turned 18, you asked God to help you find your sister. And nothing happened.

Yes I made contact 2 days before her 18th birthday.

Your elder sister was looking for you. She found you. You didn't find her - your original plea to your God failed.

Unlike my sister I knew nothing of her existence i was looking for my birth mother at the time ( my adoptive family encouraged this )

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. It seems your sister was actively looking for you - and would have found you regardless of your pleas to an imaginary power. You could have made the same plea to a rock or a cup of tea - or made no plea at all - and got the same result.

And don't you think it's a really selfish view to take: your god helped you, or your sister, find a family member while countless people who believe in god, just as much as you, suffer in agony, pleading with their god to ease their pain, etc - and nothing happens.

It sounds like another "god helped me find my car keys" while ignoring the millions who really need help. Sad really. Doesn't say much about your God too.

To both of us God is real not an imaginary person , we both grew up with different families in different places but both of us came to know God separately! both of us are in mission

Archived