Is the age of consent consistent across EU ¿¿

Why does it need to be the same? I thought criminal law was a matter for each individual state?

It doesn't particularly need to be the same, but it's fun to speculate

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 20:06 ----------

How is criminalising 14 and 15 year olds a better solution than decriminalising them?

Do we want to be encouraging 14 and 15 year olds to be having sex?

There is little point in criminalising anyone between 14 and 16ish year olds for having consensual sex and I would hope that the prosecuting agencies would excercise some common sense here. However, there is quite a lot of point in actively discouraging people (with a jail term) older than 16ish having sex with someone so young.

That's a false dichotomy, not wishing to criminalise behaviour that exists and will continue to exist is not the same as encouraging that behaviour.

If you think criminalisation is the only way to "discourage" something then we fundamentally disagree.

But, you apparently do wish to criminalise millions of teens all over europe and the UK. Then rely on the prosecutors deciding not to prosecute. Common sense is not overly represented when it comes to the law, the law is by definition, pretty black and white.

Interesting that you want to send 16 year olds (or 17 if you like) to jail for having sex with their 15 year old boyfriend. I don't think that there's any strong argument for doing that.

Look at how it all dissolves into shades of gray the moment you look closely at your black and white ideas.

Archived