Malin Bridge Infant School

babsie

I attended malin bridge between 67-72 and was informed about the centenery but i was going on holiday at the same time and so coould not make it,i would have loved to take a trip back down memory lane,cant ever remember having a class photo took whilst i was there though,can anyone else remember doing so.

No, I can't remember the class photo, but I do remember the Christmas parties when you had to take a plate with your name on the bottom (written on a plaster)! Think this was in the juniors though!

We definitely had class photos in the 1950s - I've still got somewhere two photos from different years in the infants and also junior ones. Our J4 one is on Friends Reunited, put there by one of my class - he'd remembered nearly everyone's name and with a bit of help from some more of us, we finally worked out who everyone is - nice to see that we could put names to all the faces after all this time. The two staff on the picture are Mr Courage who was Headteacher and Mr Hawley who was our class teacher in J3 and J4 and became Head after Mr Courage retired. I left in 1959 so the class photos were definitely still happening up to then - I'd have thought they'd have continued.

At the Centenary events there was a big display in the juniors hall with heaps of photos. They were sorted into the different decades and there were a lot of them. Even though I didn't go to MB, it was great seeing all the old photos and work books etc.

• 9 months later...

TWA756 must be one of my classmates, as I put the photo on FriendsReunited. Just to put the record straight regarding the death of the head teacher, Miss Evelyn Catherall - she was accompanying children going to dinner across the road, and a boy was misbehaving. She ran after him, fell and hit her head. This was in April 1954; she was 56. Miss Pass became head teacher; I also remember Mrs Senior, Miss Bolsover and Miss Garrison, and the child care assistants Mrs Shepherd and Mrs Clayton. Miss Garrison (Edith Mary Garrison) was everyone's favourite teacher; she could have been head teacher but wanted to remain in the classroom. She lived near the Botanical Gardens, never married and died in December 1989, aged 86. As far as I know, Mrs Potter is still going strong in Cambridgeshire; Lewis Hawley died in 1999, aged 84.

• 1 month later...

Archived