Chinese restaurants in sheffield

Wasn`t the one by the Classic the original zing va?
No - the Zing Vaa has always been at 55 The Moor (where it opened in c. 1957). Sheffield's other early Chinese restaurant was the Rickshaw on the corner of Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street. Directories from the 1960s show the Queen's restaurant next door to (to the left of) the Classic. By 1972 it was the Indus.

Sorry to disagree but it was a Chinese the only one in Sheffield at that time !except that is for the one on Division Street that was used as a night club by certain clientele in the early sixties.

What years are you talking about? My mate worked as a Waiter at the Queens in 1960 so it was the Queens in the late fifties, when the Queens was sold in reopened as the Indus, so if it was a Chinese it must have been after that, the Chinese Restaurant that was on Devonshire St was the Rickshaw.

I think there was a Chinese restaurant Road n the early 60s.. on London Road just by the junction with Abbeydale rd
Hi DaveD - that may have been the Ling Hong (from c. 1970 the Golden Tiger) next door to Highfield library. It can be seen in a picturesheffield.com photo dating from 1971 - here is a link.

What years are you talking about? My mate worked as a Waiter at the Queens in 1960 so it was the Queens in the late fifties, when the Queens was sold in reopened as the Indus, so if it was a Chinese it must have been after that, the Chinese Restaurant that was on Devonshire St was the Rickshaw.

Lazarus I don't remember the Queens, but always remember next to Classic being Indus Indian restaurant, and the Gambit on Commercial Street; next to gas board shop.

Hey Lazarus my memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm sure it was the Concord and you went downstairs. It was incredibly dark in there so I'm assuming there were no windows. It was in the building on the corner opposite to Hibbert Bros and across from the Town Hall.

We used to alternate between there and the Zing Vaa on Sundays after we'd done a film matinee at the Odeon, Gaumont or ABC

Kelly's directories from the 1960s show the "Chop Suey Restaurant" at 106 Norfolk Street. By 1970 it was the "Concord Chinese Restaurant" at the same address - it's on the corner of Surrey Street. Hudson's was there in the 1950s (the directories don't indicate whether it was upstairs or not).

The one by the News Theatre, later Classic cinema, in Fitzalan Square was the Gambit.

My family always used it for family celebrations and in those days it was wonderful theatre to order a dish that would be flambeed at your table,all adding to the occasion.

Health and safety would have a duck fit these days.