Chinese restaurants in sheffield

Remember going to The Gambit on Commercial Street with 2 school friends I think it was for my 9th birthday in 1967 It was my first time in a Chinese Restaurant. It was under the Gas Board offices and I remember having Beef Chow Mein and thinking give me Vesta every time.

First Indian Restaurant was The Indus under The Classic when I was 16 after going to see Clockwork Orange above.

Seem to remember going to a Chinese restaurant called Hudsons.

I think it was on the corner of Norfolk Street and Surrey Street, above the Halifax Building Society. Or am I mistaken.

Pretty sure that the first Indian restaurant in Sheffield was downstairs next to the Favorita on Calver Sreet,but cannot remember it's name.Round about 1962.

There has never been a Chinese restaurant in Fitzalan square after the Queens closed.Other early bird Chinese restaurants were ,the Rickshaw on Devonshire Street.the Bluebird At Hillsborough,Lin Hongs on London Road.The Canary on Charles Street.

The classiest most outstanding one was The Kwok Man, I think that took over from the old Canary.

Edited by Oh Carol

Pretty sure that the first Indian restaurant in Sheffield was downstairs next to the Favorita on Calver Sreet, but cannot remember its name...
That was the 'Ajanta' - it was indeed the first Indian restaurant in Sheffield.

Think you could be correct there Hillsbro!........the waiters wore orange jackets and it was my first intro to Indian food at a birthday party,and I swore it would be the last as my mouth burst into flames!However 3000 curries later.....

Yes, remember the Ajanta and La Favorita, another I recall was the Oriental on Langsett Road. Although from what I remember it was a bit of a dive.
OMG!.....the Oriental! late night dining in Sheffield,Open fire and Goldfish tank upstairs.How we never died from food poisoning will remain a mystery!....one of the few places you could dine up to 10-30pm at night in a rat infested converted house on Langsett Rd......Happy days!

Ah yes, the fish tank. I went in with a mate one night, we were a bit the worse for wear.

We ordered some food no idea what it was, but my friends meal had some slices of carrot in it. He picked a piece out and then wandered over to the fish tank keeping the slice of carrot hidden from view, he lifted the lid on the tank and put his hand in. by this time he had an audience from the other diners.

He took his hand out of the water with the piece of carrot in it making look like it was a fish. Everyone looked on horrified. The owner came out, my friend said to him nice fish' he said o h do you like them. My friend said "yes they're delicious" By this time I was under the table doubled up.

...He took his hand out of the water with the piece of carrot in it making look like it was a fish....
He must have got the idea from "Candid Camera" on TV in c. 1962. Jonathan Routh did the same stunt in a pet shop, to horrified looks from customers (it was mentioned in his "Times" obituary, see here - scroll down to "a goldfish apparently plucked from its tank and swallowed whole (it was actually a piece of carrot)"..:P