Chinese restaurants in sheffield

Ah yes, the fish tank. I went in with a mate one night, we were a bit the worse for wear.

We ordered some food no idea what it was, but my friends meal had some slices of carrot in it. He picked a piece out and then wandered over to the fish tank keeping the slice of carrot hidden from view, he lifted the lid on the tank and put his hand in. by this time he had an audience from the other diners.

He took his hand out of the water with the piece of carrot in it making look like it was a fish. Everyone looked on horrified. The owner came out, my friend said to him nice fish' he said o h do you like them. My friend said "yes they're delicious" By this time I was under the table doubled up.

The owner/errr..chef, was of some sort of foreign extraction small with froggy eyes!

When you had finished some sort of meal,he would come and take your plates and scrape the leftovers on the open fire........chicken skins used to go off like a Roman candle............recycling at it's best!!!

I thought that I was losing my marbles here, because my mates and I would pop up to the 'Concord' if the Golden Dragon was full. I always remembered it as being downstairs, but some have contradicted this. So... had a little look HERE.

If you zoom into the sign on the other side of the door, it states "OPEN- restaurant- Downstairs ":cool:

Another pic of the inside HERE

Edited by handypandy

yes i can remember it, i was trying to place where it was but youre right it was at the side of the classic

hiya i remember it it was at the side of the news theatre there were a long flight of steps seemed to go down and down. zing vaa comes to mind but not sure.

My first ever experience of eating out was at the Chinese restaurant which was on the top floor of the building at Hillsborough corner, later demolished as part of the Supertram works. Was it the Bluebird, later renamed Silver Dragon?

Much more recently, I miss Mei's which was downstairs near to Pollard's.

Edited by susie1

My first ever experience of eating out was at the Chinese restaurant which was on the top floor of the building at Hillsborough corner, later demolished as part of the Supertram works. Was it the Bluebird, later renamed Silver Dragon?...
Yes, spot-on. The Bluebird opened in 1961, and was renamed the Silver Dragon (under the same ownership) in c. 1968..:)

My first ever experience of eating out was at the Chinese restaurant which was on the top floor of the building at Hillsborough corner, later demolished as part of the Supertram works. Was it the Bluebird, later renamed Silver Dragon?

Much more recently, I miss Mei's which was downstairs near to Pollard's.

hiya what was the one called at highfields, first one after the library, as the owner was a neighbor of my grans on netherthorpe flats