Renting is ruining people's lives

Best bet is just to issue a notice to quit and get some tenants in who don't take the proverbial. I had some that tried that - they didn't like it but not my problem and the damage they caused meant they got stuff all deposit back too.

In the USA, renting is mainly 'unfurnished accommodation'.

That way, no damage is done to the L's goods.

If a tenant has a genuine reason why an inspection can not ahead e.g. the landlord wants to come during school drop off or pick up time or you have a medical appointment/ you're away on holiday etc then it would be reasonable for the tenant to say "sorry no can do" and arrange a different time to allow access to the landlord.

Legally the landlord could still access the property but if this was done on a regular basis it could be deemed as harassment.

What would be reasonable in this situation, would be for landlord/ tenant to arrange a mutually convenient time. However if the landlord has given 24 hours notice , in writing, the law is on his side.

All depends on how "reasonable" people want to be.

But it is worth noting that a landlord needs to have a good reason for wanting access to a property.

Monthly inspection is a good reason.

I'd never be awkward about arranging it with the tenants, but as you say, the law makes it clear that the right exists.

Poppet appears to be now talking about tenants that physically try to stop you performing an inspection. At that point you clearly can't assault them to gain entry, the police probably won't help, but the relationship has broken down so far that a notice to quit (or whatever the official term is) would be my next and immediate step.

It's also reasonable (given that the inspection hasn't taken place) to keep giving them notice and attempting to do the inspection, that's not harassment, and you have a right to inspect the property, perhaps at a time when they are at work.

Monthly inspection is a good reason.

I'd never be awkward about arranging it with the tenants, but as you say, the law makes it clear that the right exists.

Poppet appears to be now talking about tenants that physically try to stop you performing an inspection. At that point you clearly can't assault them to gain entry, the police probably won't help, but the relationship has broken down so far that a notice to quit (or whatever the official term is) would be my next and immediate step.

It's also reasonable (given that the inspection hasn't taken place) to keep giving them notice and attempting to do the inspection, that's not harassment, and you have a right to inspect the property, perhaps at a time when they are at work.

I can't disagree with that- personally I believe inspections should be encouraged. I think too many landlord's don't carry out inspections and are then shocked to find their property in an utter state when the tenants finally leave. By inspecting a property a landlord can identify any issues early on and work with their tenant to resolve them.

Harassment would be if a landlord insisted on inspecting the property every week/ month. I would never consider three monthly/ six monthly inspections as harassment.

I've been really lucky with some of my tenancies and really unlucky with others. The ones that have worked best for me were the ones were both sides promoted good communication.

Even if a property is rented and belongs to someone else- to me, it's my home. I want to keep it to a standard I'm proud of. A landlord is less likely to put the rent up/ serve notice/ sell if they feel that their property is in good hands.

It can be a hard balance though. A landlord needs to respect that it's the tenant's home and that people need to feel safe with an appropriate level of privacy. The tenant needs to respect that it's a landlord's source of income and should maintain it to the standard they found it in when they started the tenancy.

Unfortunately it goes wrong too many times.

Even if a property is rented and belongs to someone else- to me, it's my home. I want to keep it to a standard I'm proud of.

That is a very good point that both sides in this debate should remember.

Ive occasionally done "small" works in friends rented houses, hopefully to the benefit of them and the landlord....Its better to "grease the wheels" , than to argue about stuff

Even if a property is rented and belongs to someone else- to me, it's my home. I want to keep it to a standard I'm proud of.

That is a very good point that both sides in this debate should remember.

Ive occasionally done "small" works in friends rented houses, hopefully to the benefit of them and the landlord....Its better to "grease the wheels" , than to argue about stuff

No it is not your home, it is your house.

You gave away many of your rights to what was once your home, when you decided to rent it out! It is the tenant's home, that is what they are paying rent for. As such they are entitled to many rights, one of which is not to be harassed!

For the sake of reason try and read the post thats a quote from :D its only the one above mine there....you really do like to dive in without thinkiig dont you, or even without reading

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 22:41 ----------

It was posted by Nictrod at 22:17 if that helps you make sense before you get all unreasonalby angry

:D

For the sake of reason try and read the post thats a quote from :D its only the one above mine there....you really do like to dive in without thinkiig dont you, or even without reading

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 22:41 ----------

It was posted by Nictrod at 22:17 if that helps you make sense before you get all unreasonalby angry

:D

Makes no difference, a landlord owns the house. The tenant pays rent which then becomes his home. You have added nothing to this debate so it is pointless you intervening about something you know nothing about.

Im assuming you are not quite with it? Are you always this ridiculous after the pubs shut?

I agreed that a tennented house is the tennents home and should be treated as such by both parties.

I assure you I know a lot about rented housing, jsut cos im nota big bad landlord :D

A landlord needs to respect that it's the tenant's home and that people need to feel safe with an appropriate level of privacy.

Nicotrod also wrote and understood the above, which states that at least she understands the difference between the two, unlike you! I note you omitted to quote that!

Archived