Renting is ruining people's lives

You might as well just burn your money, rather than build a house with no planning permission.

To the contrary.

It was mas squatting movements that led to better housing, built by people themselves, and also leading to council house building to placate the masses. Much of it airbrushed from history.

The Land Is Ours. People need to take it and use it.

Easier than ever before... Perhaps 15 years ago this was true. But it's far more expensive and harder today than it was in 1999.

Cyclone do you rent or own? I ask because, if you do and you work, why not move to home ownership?

It's all to easy to accept what we are given! Why?

There is another way, especially if your self employed or have saved something to put down...

And how will they then connect up mains services - gas/electricity/phone/water &c?

Genuine question.

Go back to basic principles, live near a stream. Bottle gas, solar power, wood burning stove etc.

In fact, rather than build, I'd tow caravans onto common land, get enough together and build your own camp.

Cyclone do you rent or own? I ask because, if you do and you work, why not move to home ownership?

It's all to easy to accept what we are given! Why?

There is another way, especially if your self employed or have saved something to put down...

I own 2 houses, one of which I let.

Go back to basic principles, live near a stream. Bottle gas, solar power, wood burning stove etc.

In fact, rather than build, I'd tow caravans onto common land, get enough together and build your own camp.

(1) Not enough streams to go round.

(2) Bottle gas is expensive & bulky

(3) solar power, especially in the northern hemisphere, is unreliable.

(4) Wood burning stoves would deplete stocks faster than they would regrow.

In other words, Anna B, you would like to go back to the dark ages?

I was addressing Cyclone's point that you might as well burn the money as build without planning permission. He's probably right.

I see this as more of a protest; a bit of civil disobediance that won't bankrupt people, give them somewhere to live, create a community and make a splash in the media if and when the police try to evict them, thus garnering publicity for the cause.

If you can't buy, can't afford to rent, what are people supposed to do?

I was addressing Cyclone's point that you might as well burn the money as build without planning permission. He's probably right.

I see this as more of a protest; a bit of civil disobediance that won't bankrupt people, give them somewhere to live, create a community and make a splash in the media if and when the police try to evict them, thus garnering publicity for the cause.

If you can't buy, can't afford to rent, what are people supposed to do?

Genuine question Anna...with HB who can't afford to rent?

I rent a house and it's not ruining my life, I like renting it suites my current circumstances, Self employed & in quite a new relationship. The other thing is a live in an area that is quite expensive to buy in I would struggle to prove my income to a lender to have the house I currently live in. But renting has given me access to the property and access for my children at a better school. Horses for courses.

Archived