Renting is ruining people's lives

Read the first report.

I have read the IPPR report from 2012 which you added in your edit- again no mention of Renting is ruining people's lives or that it is any more or less ruinous than paying a mortgage.

The NCT story is about a survey of views and is not research on which to establish facts.

The recent Living Wage Commission (June) makes no mention of rent.

[/color]

I have read the IPPR report from 2012 which you added in your edit- again no mention of Renting is ruining people's lives or that it is any more or less ruinous than paying a mortgage.

The NCT story is about a survey of views and is not research on which to establish facts.

The recent Living Wage Commission (June) makes no mention of rent.

Example of the word DESTROY, from the free online dictionary.

destroy - destroy completely; damage irreparably; "You have RUINED my car by pouring sugar in the tank!"; "The tears RUINED her make-up"

Britain's housing crisis and the resulting rise of a generation locked out of home ownership is DESTROYING community spirit and preventing young people from building careers, forming relationships and starting families

"For Londoners embarking on parenthood, the biggest financial concern was rocketing RENTS and house prices..."

Forty per cent of people in the capital said it was at the top of their worry list, compared with a national figure 34 per cent. More than seven in 10 London parents worried that they would be forced to cut back on essentials to meet the rising cost of their RENT or mortgage.

:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 15:24 ----------

Long term tenancies are also the norm in the rest of Europe so renting provides a viable alternative in terms of stability compared to home ownership.

jb

Rents are regulated in Europe, which is why renting is so popular. This was the case in the UK until such new tenancies were abolished in 1988. Even NY has regulated tenancies. They realised that without them they wouldn't have low paid key workers.

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 15:27 ----------

How did previous generations cope, didn't most people rent in the 'olden' days?

They had regulated tenancies which where half the price of market rents.

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 15:28 ----------

When did people start expecting to own their own home? The 70s?

I take it you don't own your own home and don't have aspirations to? :rolleyes:

One of the main things that has driven up property prices (and rents) is people paying more for a house than they can afford. Facilitated by the irresponsible lending of the banks and building societies. No sympathy from this corner I’m afraid.

[/color]...

Example of the word DESTROY, from the free online dictionary.

destroy - destroy completely; damage irreparably; "You have RUINED my car by pouring sugar in the tank!"; "The tears RUINED her make-up"

Britain's housing crisis and the resulting rise of a generation locked out of home ownership is DESTROYING community spirit and preventing young people from building careers, forming relationships and starting families

"For Londoners embarking on parenthood, the biggest financial concern was rocketing RENTS and house prices..."

Forty per cent of people in the capital said it was at the top of their worry list, compared with a national figure 34 per cent. More than seven in 10 London parents worried that they would be forced to cut back on essentials to meet the rising cost of their RENT or mortgage.

destroying community spirit not lives

The issues applies to rent and mortgage in the survey- words which as I have already said do not appear in the IPPR or to the Living Wage Commission reports.

Two of the three sources do not mention rent and the one that does does not differentiate between rent and mortgage.

None mentions ruining people's lives.

None mentions destroying people's lives.

One says destroying community spirit.

In my opinion it is the buying of houses,in the 70s, that is ruining peoples lives now.When the councils saw the rush to buy houses with the silly mortgage rates that were being offered by the banks they decided to slow down their council house building,hence the shortage of council rented houses and the increase of the ridiculous private landlord rents.

destroying community spirit not lives

The issues applies to rent and mortgage in the survey- words which as I have already said do not appear in the IPPR or to the Living Wage Commission reports.

Two of the three sources do not mention rent and the one that does does not differentiate between rent and mortgage.

None mentions ruining people's lives.

None mentions destroying people's lives.

One says destroying community spirit.

"Britain's housing crisis and the resulting rise of a generation locked out of home ownership is DESTROYING community spirit and preventing young people from building careers, forming relationships and starting families."

So you don't think that the above sentence results in ruining people's lives?

People locked out of home ownership, which means people have no choice but to either rent or live with their parents until the time comes when they have to pay extortionate rents in London and pay somebody else's mortgage. Meanwhile, the uncertainty of renting prevents starting families, building careers or forming relationships.

Would you be happy for your children or grandchildren to live like this?

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 17:00 ----------

In my opinion it is the buying of houses,in the 70s, that is ruining peoples lives now.When the councils saw the rush to buy houses with the silly mortgage rates that were being offered by the banks they decided to slow down their council house building,hence the shortage of council rented houses and the increase of the ridiculous private landlord rents.

So nothing to do with the buying of council homes, and the council not being allowed to use the money to build new council homes then?:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 17:07 ----------

In my opinion it is the buying of houses,in the 70s, ...the increase of the ridiculous private landlord rents.

But rents were still regulated up until Jan 1988. Landlords could only charge a market rent after this period, not during the 70s. :confused:

So nothing to do with the buying of council homes, and the council not being allowed to use the money to build new council homes then?:rolleyes:

That would be a failure at the government level to not alter the law to fix that problem.

I thought the money did go back to the councils tho???

"Britain's housing crisis and the resulting rise of a generation locked out of home ownership is DESTROYING community spirit and preventing young people from building careers, forming relationships and starting families."

So you don't think that the above sentence results in ruining people's lives?

People locked out of home ownership, which means people have no choice but to either rent or live with their parents until the time comes when they have to pay extortionate rents in London and pay somebody else's mortgage. Meanwhile, the uncertainty of renting prevents starting families, building careers or forming relationships.

Would you be happy for your children or grandchildren to live like this?

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 17:00 ----------

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 17:07 ----------

But rents were still regulated up until Jan 1988. Landlords could only charge a market rent after this period, not during the 70s. :confused:

I do not agree with the buying of council houses either.

That would be a failure at the government level to not alter the law to fix that problem.

I thought the money did go back to the councils tho???

Yes half of the money did.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Buy

'Half the proceeds of the sales were paid to the local authorities, but they were restricted to spending the money to reduce their debt until it was cleared, rather than being able to spend it on building more homes. The effect was to reduce the council housing stock, especially in areas where property prices were high such as London and the south-east of England.'

Archived